a new idea - player ranking

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

a new idea - player ranking

Post by Zehra »

Hi all,

I've decided to propose another idea for BZFlag.
There has been a number of ideas for providing rankings for players.
From ELO Statistics to Strayer's site, there has been a large number of ranking systems provided for players.
Sadly from all of the systems created, there is little data on the actual skill level from players.

Instead of checking scores or checking player vs player, why not instead rank kill to death ratio?
Players could have commands like "/scoreboard" to view scores players have made along with total number of kills and death ratio.
This system would be opt-in for those who wish to be able to track their scores.

Imagine being able to do "/scoreboard" and gain a list of the ten best players which would list their kill and death ratio along with total number of them made to date.

Checking players scores could be done as easily as "/scoreboard [player name]".
Results like "Sample Player : Rank = 1 Kill-To-Death-Ratio 3.0 Total-kills 3,000 Total-Deaths 1,000" would be provided.

It could also provide a bit of a nice scoring system if done across a few servers.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Duane Dibbley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: a new idea - player ranking

Post by Duane Dibbley »

Isn't this what "Normalised Scoring" does? (In options). I always use normalised to see who is/isn't doing well regardless of numeric score. A mediocre player can attain a large number of points in an hour or two of playing - the default numeric ranking places them top whereas normalised places them realistically mid-rank.

I'd personally like to see normalised scoring as the default. It's much more meaningful, and the raw numbers are plain to see in either case. If the flashing score could work with the top player rather than just the highest number of points that would be cool too.

[Edit] :doh: re-reading I realise you are proposing an over-arching system persisting beyond individual games. Also cool. :)
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

It's not a bad idea and is feasible to make. I take it that this data would only be tracked for registered players? Tied directly to their BZIDs?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

allejo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:26 am I take it that this data would only be tracked for registered players? Tied directly to their BZIDs?
Yes, BZIDs would be used for ranking.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

By the way, I haven't thought of a few additional details as well.

Maybe self-kills would not be counted in the death ratio along with world weapons not counting for kills.
(This might provide a more accurate rank.)

Perhaps maps and ports could also be listed as well?

I'm not sure if a web page with ranks would be a good idea too.
This way players could simply visit a website when they wish to look up rank/stats.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread