Issue with macOS High Sierra

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
mfrazzz
Private
Private

Issue with macOS High Sierra

Post by mfrazzz »

Wondering if anyone else is trying to play BZflag on macOS High Sierra. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that I've ran BZflag on for years with no issues. I decided to finally upgrade it to High Sierra and now BZflag is pretty much unplayable for me on this laptop as the screen updates are not smooth at all. I also upgraded a 2010 MacBook Pro to High Sierra, and it runs just fine. So I decided to wipe the 2012 laptop and install completely fresh, but I still have the same issue with that one. One difference between these models, is the 2010 has a dedicated graphics card where the 2012 is the Intel 4000HD built in graphics :p. So I'm curious if anyone is is trying to run on a similar MacBook Pro and seeing similar issues with High Sierra? May have to just start playing BZflag on my Linux Mint box (that is also the bzfs server I run for some friends).
macsforme
General
General

Re: Issue with macOS High Sierra

Post by macsforme »

Apple has a bit of a history of driver problems with the Intel HD 4000. I remember several years ago BZFlag ran at around 5-10 FPS on Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9, I think. It was fixed shortly after that, but I’ve heard several reports of graphics driver issues with High Sierra.

The first thing to do is to make sure your system is fully updated (I think 10.13.2 may be the current one). If that doesn’t resolve it, you may want to look at filing a bug report with Apple.
mfrazzz
Private
Private

Post by mfrazzz »

Yes, I went up to 10.13.2 and even the security fix on that. Same issues all the way around. Thanks for the quick response, and guess I'll be filing a bug with Apple then on this.
leviathan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by leviathan »

Played around with the graphics settings? Vsync, texture quality etc.? Since my first computer I've only had integrated graphics and have always been running low graphic settings to avoid low framerates.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

leviathan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:09 pm Played around with the graphics settings? Vsync, texture quality etc.? Since my first computer I've only had integrated graphics and have always been running low graphic settings to avoid low framerates.
Modern systems may actually run slower with our lower quality settings since they no longer optimize drivers for those texture filtering modes. So lower quality doesn't always mean higher frame rates.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mfrazzz
Private
Private

Post by mfrazzz »

Yes I played around with the settings, and haven't found anything to help. I'm back on Sierra and it runs super smooth. So this is definitely a change with High Sierra. I have seen where people with Hackintoshes have also complained about issues with the Intel HD 4000 graphics after a High Sierra upgrade.