A pastebin for /savemsgs

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

A pastebin for /savemsgs

Post by allejo »

So a few months ago, I started working on a pastebin-like website for /savemsgs log files. Introducing Project Roconut!

http://roconut.projects.allejo.io/

The BZFlag client has the ability to save your console log through the /savemsgs command. However, by default, this saved log will keep the ANSI escape codes, which define the colors of text, but to the average human, this looks like gibberish. The concept of creating a converter for these files is not new, however they were not always user friendly and typically required downloading dependencies, which weren't always cross-platform friendly. I built Roconut with the intention of being a solution anyone can use anywhere. All you need is a BZFlag account, which you likely already have :)

Take note, this is not an official BZFlag project and is currently hosted on my own server. No one else can see your messages unless you share the link with people. All pastes are stored securely on my server, so if trust me and all the services I provide, then you can trust Roconut :D

If you find a security vulnerability giving you access to other people's pastes or anything you shouldn't have access to, please tell me privately and give me time to fix it before it is made public. I take privacy seriously and I'm storing your private conversations, so I'd like to fix any issues quickly.

Here's a sample upload: http://roconut.projects.allejo.io/view/ ... 133e99b631

I currently have one feature in beta and that's message filters, which allow you hide certain types of messages. The way these filters work is incredibly difficult so they're far from perfect and still need work. So if you upload a paste and see some weird behavior when you select certain filters, please let me know and I'll work on fixing the filters. There are far too many inconsistency in the BZFlag client when it comes to console messages so it's really difficult to write these filters.

Just like most of my work, the source code for Roconut is available on GitHub.

Feedback is most welcome!
R3laX
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A pastebin for /savemsgs

Post by R3laX »

This is good! I always use /savemsgs -s for plain text
OG
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I like this, Thank You Allejo.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Yukiai01
Private
Private

Post by Yukiai01 »

Hi

To save messages I am using a command:

Code: Select all

bzflag -ea > bzflog
Is it ok to upload messages created like this?
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Yukiai01 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:52 pm To save messages I am using a command:

Code: Select all

bzflag -ea > bzflog
Is it ok to upload messages created like this?
Sure, that's fine too!
Yukiai01
Private
Private

Post by Yukiai01 »

Hi

I uploaded a few logs.
One example:
http://roconut.projects.allejo.io/view/ ... e35eb39134

I have a few suggestions.
It would be really awesome if i could bulk upload many log files at once. Title of each log could be log files name.
It would be nice to have an option to change title of any uploaded logs and to delete logs.

Anyway, this is a great project.
Thank YOU :*
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Yukiai01 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:03 pm I have a few suggestions.
It would be really awesome if i could bulk upload many log files at once. Title of each log could be log files name.
It would be nice to have an option to change title of any uploaded logs and to delete logs.

Anyway, this is a great project.
Thank YOU :*
Thank you for the kind words!

I've created the following issues on the GitHub repo to track the feature requests :)