Arrogance

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
SellotapedtoInsanity
Private First Class
Private First Class

Arrogance

Post by SellotapedtoInsanity »

Is it me - or does there seem to be a lot more arrogance from players than there used to be? I was playing in Pie 10 shot and was accused of having no skill by the top scoring player just because I wasn't running all over the place playing like a pro .... :roll:

And that's what really gets me - for me its _not_ all about the scores, its about having a laugh and chatting with people and just because I don't play in a league or always run with top score (or even care about my score for that matter) doesn't mean I'm skill-less, it means I'm having fun.....

I understand that others feel differently, but we should all remember that we play for different reasons and respect that.

Anyway, just wanted to clear the chest.

laters :|
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

arrogance

Post by sid6.7 »

sure is, ive met more of these in the last 3-4 months then
the previous 2.5 years...i've met a couple dozen of them..

solution?...i just end up beating the living snot out them...

there are 6-8 particular players that do this that i have noticed
i enjoy hunting them down when the trash talk gets started...

and trash talk is okay when its done in fun or to be just silly
and make poeple laugh, but you can tell the difference...

so far i have only seen 2 or 3 that could actually keep up
with the "old school" group but when "old school" players
show up they generally go down in flames...

real solution?...walk softly and carry a big stick...
if your new give yourself 2-3 months it will all come
together...my first 2 months i avg -50 per game...

and dont get into a "typing" match just keep
playing thier "typing" will catch up to them...

i would also pay attention to which servers your on
that will go far to help you avoid the worst situations

i recommend sleepy servers, galkire, ducati-clone
secretplace, skymoco, ajax....
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Sometimes arrogant players are moderately annoying, and other times I just end up pitying them. Maybe it depends on my mood. Anyway, if they're being a pain I either just leave, or make it my mission to hunt them and ruin their best moments.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

I just go on secretplace it isn't bad at all. I know practically everyone that is on it.
Lirael_Goldenhand
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lirael_Goldenhand »

I just hunt 'em and beat the crap outta them. :)
Does the walker choose the path or does the path choose the walker?

In dust we trust.

You never saw this. It didn't happen. Don't tell anyone or you're a dead man.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Wow. Played a little bit this afternoon on secretplace. Hadn't been there in a couple of weeks. I wasn't doing great, but had about 35 points to the good and someone callsign Ajax starts sending me private messages every time he kills me. Only happened a few times, but each time a kind of bragging message ("ole," "hahaha," etc.).

I sent him a "?" each time, and then he tells me I must be cheating. I got a couple more messages, ending in "you is bad player." Aside from the broken English, I didn't find him to be much of a player, not that I am good by any means, but after playing a bit, he only had a few points to the good (on a team of 3). He left after that.

I found the attitude rather disquieting.

Sello, yes, I would have to agree with you today. And Sid6.7 and Workaphobia have good answers.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

um toaster, Those private messages weren't bragging. just friendly banter. Ajax is a european player, German i believe, which is why the broken english. He probally understand you to be a bad sport and arrogent, not being able to take a kill. NO, I am not implying that. Just trying to explain a situation.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Funny. I speak/write German, not too badly. I didn't say/do anything to him, except send "?" a few times after he sent me something I didn't understand. Maybe you're right, but if so, what made me "arrogant?" I didn't send any other kind of message that I remember that session. What gave him that impression?

Oh, well.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

No, i'm not saying your arrogent. Just maybe, maybe ajax thought you could be. That would be his/her problem (not to sure of the gender :D) Just speaking from bzflag experience. A lot of things that i meant as funny, witty, good humour, has been taken badly could be this case. However, I do want to comend your good reaction to this case.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Captain Smile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Captain Smile »

That is true, I have spotted also the increasing amount of nasty players. This is caused by the increase in popularity of the game. Suckers get more interested and play this game. Before bzflag was a much smaller community, I remember when Sportchick wasn't an admin :D
Idiots have come in mass, now fellow bzflagers, its time to stand up and face them. What CS players never new how to do that !
swine
Private First Class
Private First Class

snappy responses too stupid comments

Post by swine »

every time someone starts with the threats and bad words. I simply state " You'll have to remind me to be intimidated later, I'm a little busy right now"
This usually sends them off the deep end.
Looks like the gene pool needs a little chlorine!
Logwad
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Logwad »

The main thing that erks me is when people who accuse me of cheating. I'm good enough to typically be in the top couple scores (but not good enought to stand much of a chance with some hardcore pros). But when I "somehow" am able to dodge someone's shots and then take them out, I simply must be cheating. And it doesn't help when the flags I get support their claims (a couple days ago on the two castle server I got 4 SW's in a row then two geno's latter)

As for actual arrogance two players (punisher and "if I kill u u are ugly") may seem that way at first, but as I have watched them they consistantly maintain the "personality" that they have created and are quite amusing to watch.

Though for a newb constantly hearing "I ALWAYS WIN!!1" and "RAWR" might be intimidating -_^
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

yea those two are a trip lol

rar! =^_^=
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Lirael_Goldenhand wrote:I just hunt 'em and beat the crap outta them. :)

me too its really really fun :)