BZFlag inspired game under development

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag inspired game under development

Post by Zehra »

etigah wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:32 pm Is it the game menu, the ui, the controls or something else that you find not intuitive ?
For instance, the movement of the UI and crosshair, which both BZ and quite a few FPS players will probably tend to find odd.
For BZ players, the movement will be considered "odd" due to moving independently of the crosshair/target sight.
The field of view in a great deal of FPS games is completely based on the mouse or crosshair.
This isn't too consistent with either BZ or most FPS games, so it the movement of the UI and controls will likely feel unusual to some players.

For future reference though, the responsiveness of the controls may want to be adjusted, as they feel a bit slow in the prototype.
Additionally, the way FPS is integrated could be improved somewhat, although I'm not exactly sure which areas may need to be improved or adjusted at this point in time.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

Zehra wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:20 am For instance, the movement of the UI and crosshair, which both BZ and quite a few FPS players will probably tend to find odd.
For BZ players, the movement will be considered "odd" due to moving independently of the crosshair/target sight.
The field of view in a great deal of FPS games is completely based on the mouse or crosshair.
This isn't too consistent with either BZ or most FPS games, so it the movement of the UI and controls will likely feel unusual to some players.
I would separate the crosshairs and motion box like shown in the image:
ui.png
(487.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Why even use a motion box? Just use Traditional First Person Shooter controls.
ImageJeffM
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

No, conventional FPS controls wouldn't do because motion depends on the absolute position of the mouse cursor. I personally think this is one of the best aspects of BZFlag controls, so I'm replicating it.
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Yes, agreeing with etigah, BZFlag could be categorized as a FPS game and, also, as an arcade-simulator. The "simulator" part applies here, as one of its features: you can move the tank very precisely (specially with the mouse).

BTW, separating/placing the motion box at a side seems weird and uncomfortable.
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

So I made some changes including relocating the motion box. I'd appreciate if you would test it and tell me if it's playable like that. I have not yet pushed a release, waiting for this change to be tested, but the code can be updated using a script. I outlined the update process in an earlier post.

Other changes include adjustments to scene lighting and replacement of crosshairs ( can you guess which game I *ahem* borrowed the new one from :-p)
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

I made a release tagged 'latest' which I will update often so the most up to date release can be downloaded using the same link.

Download latest version
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

I like it eti,

My only thing would be that movement box. Being in the bottom right will take getting used to, but feels bad when I dont know where my mouse is cause I cant see it. I would prefer it a lil closer to mid screen, even if its transparency is down so it isnt invasive to seeing whats in front of you.
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

iObserve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm I like it eti,
Hey, thanks for your feedback!
iObserve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm My only thing would be that movement box. Being in the bottom right will take getting used to, but feels bad when I dont know where my mouse is cause I cant see it. I would prefer it a lil closer to mid screen, even if its transparency is down so it isnt invasive to seeing whats in front of you.
The mousebox being centered is a choice made long ago, I suspect it's not what new players expect. Placing it in a bottom corner makes is similar to how mobile touch controls do. I really want to know how you and others find this plays in practice. I'll try to push an update later tonight or tomorrow as I made some changes to the motion box setup.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

etigah wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 am
iObserve wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 pm My only thing would be that movement box. Being in the bottom right will take getting used to, but feels bad when I dont know where my mouse is cause I cant see it. I would prefer it a lil closer to mid screen, even if its transparency is down so it isnt invasive to seeing whats in front of you.
The mousebox being centered is a choice made long ago, I suspect it's not what new players expect. Placing it in a bottom corner makes is similar to how mobile touch controls do. I really want to know how you and others find this plays in practice. I'll try to push an update later tonight or tomorrow as I made some changes to the motion box setup.
Just like BZFlag in options you can adjust the size of the mouse box - as an example.

How about adding in options, to allow users to put it where they want to?

Please and thank you
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

I updated the package, available from the link below.

Download
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

trpted wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:33 pm
etigah wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:56 am
Just like BZFlag in options you can adjust the size of the mouse box - as an example.

How about adding in options, to allow users to put it where they want to?

Please and thank you
In mobile version, that would be great. But when on pc... It feels very awkward cause my thumb isnt right in front of my face :wink:
But in general the controls did feel smooth. I didnt mind the mousebox size, its more so I would easily loose track cause I had to look down to the right to even see where in the mousebox I was set at. Which then results in a harder time looking up or over to the radar.
I will download the new one, and give er a go!
WorldOfTanks23
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WorldOfTanks23 »

etigah wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:55 pm I updated the package, available from the link below.

Download
I get "Not Found"
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by etigah »

I will change the name since it's already taken and I will not be posting further updates till the game is ready. Send me a private msg if you like to follow game development.

I'd like to thank everyone who showed interest and gave me feedback.