getting started info

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
dibblethewrecker
Private
Private

getting started info

Post by dibblethewrecker »

i only just discovered bzflag and have yet to install it let alone try it but there seems to be an absence of info about...you know...getting started :oops:

i have never played lots of online games and when i have they have been populated by clique types who kick you if you suck and there seems to be no where that tells you where to go to play if you do suck - it's like trying to get your first job - no-one will look at you cos you have no experience.

so, any suggestions on how to get started or directions to nice resources that i have clearly missed. obviously i have to install it and learn how to play myself but it seems that community is this games strong point and joining a new community is like switching schools...

ok...enough similes
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Once you get the game installed, go right to a server like Ducati or Hepcat. They both disable all the advanced features of the game so you can learn to control the tank and dodge regularly. If you don't learn that, you're doomed among any experienced players.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

beginner

Post by sid6.7 »

there are no novice servers just jump in a take a licking
like the rest of us...you can go observer mode instead
of playing and watch but the sooner you play the sooner
your beginning days will be behind u....its gonna take
a couple months of pain.........
dibblethewrecker
Private
Private

Post by dibblethewrecker »

i can bear the pain, and a certain amount of being dissed :D cheers for the quick replies
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

BTW, I always felt that a game is most fun and enjoyable if you don't follow a tutorial or do what everyone else is doing. Teaching the basics is fine, but I feel that the most fun is experienced if you just try playing and just mess around with everything, but do what you feel is most fun because that is what the game is about-fun (just tipping you off :) )

PS: it's fun to learn by messing around, just as long as the messing around doesn't involve frowned-upon things, such as teamkilling, spamming, capturing your own flag, cheating, etc...
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
Captain Smile
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Captain Smile »

When I started, I remember I couldn't move :D
But I started in Sercret place, thats when I saw sportchick with poor score. But I think learning yourself is more fun than reading tutorial :D
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

Workaphobia wrote:Once you get the game installed, go right to a server like Ducati or Hepcat. They both disable all the advanced features of the game so you can learn to control the tank and dodge regularly. If you don't learn that, you're doomed among any experienced players.
No one ever told me that! :cry: No wonder is till suck.