Tank intermitently stops moving

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tank intermitently stops moving

Post by Mama Lookie »

I'm running Manjaro Linux and never had any major issues running BZFlag. With the latest Manjaro update I've been experiencing intermittent tank movement. I'll be moving, then all of a sudden my tank will stop moving. I then need to release the keyboard "up arrow" key and depress it again to begin moving again. That is my major complaint but another is minor and I found a work-around for it, is that when exiting the game it will not save my brightness (gamma) setting. So, to get around that, I just set the option for save settings to "NO" and edit my config.cfg file with the gamma setting I like.

Anybody experience any of these issues? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Re: Tank intermitently stops moving

Post by Bullet Catcher »

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27222 may be related to the gamma problem.

For movement, maybe there is now a time limit or a repeat limit when holding down keys. That's just a wild guess.
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

In case you are running it from your official repository, I suggest to try compiling it locally (or even using Wine), and, then, compare the results. Pay attention to the warning messages. Sometimes repo versions have issues, and, apart, local builds always tend to run better.

I see you updated your operating system; I also suggest, in second place, to do an installation from scratch of it, better.
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mama Lookie »

So, I think it's something with the NVidia driver. I ran it with nouveau driver and didn't have any issues. Then I reloaded NVidia driver and issues comes back. I also took it out of full-screen mode and maximized the window with no issues. Strange!!!
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mama Lookie »

Update....so it still happens, even with the nouveau driver. So aggravating!!!!!
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mama Lookie »

So, I'm narrowing this thing down. I'm finding out it's something to do with key repeat on the keyboard. When it's enabled, if I press and hold the up a key to move the tank, the tank will move without stopping. If I'm holding that key down and press and let go a second key, the tank will stop moving after a few seconds. So, I went into my keyboard setting and disabled the key repeat option and the tank stops a few seconds after I start moving, regardless of how many keys I press.
Never did before and in windows it works flawless.
Freaking weird!!!!
hawthorn
Private
Private

Post by hawthorn »

Can confirm that I have the same issue running the latest version of Manjaro Linux, with the tank behaving exactly as G67P describes.
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mama Lookie »

hawthorn wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:24 pm Can confirm that I have the same issue running the latest version of Manjaro Linux, with the tank behaving exactly as G67P describes.

I installed MXLinux and no issues at all. MXLinux doesn't use systemd and wondering if that is the cause.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

I use Fedora and have no issues, so it is probably not a general systemd issue.

The only thing that would come to mind is that you had a kernel update but not a respective driver update alongside it, which might be messing it up for you.
Mama Lookie
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mama Lookie »

tainn wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:50 pm I use Fedora and have no issues, so it is probably not a general systemd issue.

The only thing that would come to mind is that you had a kernel update but not a respective driver update alongside it, which might be messing it up for you.

I did a new install of manjaro a few weeks ago but have same issue. I can't figure it out.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I can also confirm this issue exists on Ubuntu 19.04 with the BZFlag version from the apt repository.

I was able to get a working BZFlag by building from source and configuring it with SDL 2. This might be an issue with the older version of SDL 1.2 used by our version in the apt repository.

We are looking at updating our snap package to use SDL 2, so that may be an option for those with Linux distributions that have access to snaps. Otherwise, building from source with SDL 2 seems to be a good option.
Greasy Pizza Chunks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Tank intermitently stops moving & driving me nuts

Post by Greasy Pizza Chunks »

I can confirm the tank stopping problem on Fedora 31 running 2.4.18. Sometimes I am driving around and the tank just stops. I noticed that the forward motion also stops frequently after I hit another key such as jump. (Though if I repress the forward key while in mid-air, the tank continues after landing.)

Edit: Ubuntu 18 running 2.4.12 is NOT a problem.
Last edited by Greasy Pizza Chunks on Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Ignore my previous post, I was on an outdated bzflag version at the time that didn't have this issue. This is definitely a SDL1 issue, thanks to blast we managed to figure that out some time ago.

There are two main options for those who use SDL1 on default; either compile bzflag from source and include SDL2 as an option, or run bzflag via Flatpak, ultimately not performing a system install of the game. I went with the latter and have no regrets, runs smoothly so far.
Greasy Pizza Chunks
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Greasy Pizza Chunks »

tainn is right. Compiling with SDL2 appears to solve the problem. I submitted a bug report to Fedora on this: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1768141
If you want an SDL2-compiled rpm for Fedora 31, you can grab it off my machine:
http://home.merrill-samuelson.com/~sam/ ... x86_64.rpm