Language, look in your own backyard first

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
mike_o
Private First Class
Private First Class

Language, look in your own backyard first

Post by mike_o »

How on earth can we have a language policy banning even the most subtle exclamations, when at the same time we've got the servers throwing profanities like "Forking F12-noob" at us?

I have been a faithful player over the last decade, but this hypocrisy (along with the mushy "F12" rules) is making everything less enjoyable.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Language, look in your own backyard first

Post by Zehra »

Exactly which server were you on?
(Please note that language policies vary from server to server as well.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

One thing many people seem to miss is that this game is not centralized. For the biggest part, every server has their own rules, which are made up by the server owners, usually the hosts.

Some servers have more severe rules set in place while some are more loose. Some have pure manual moderation while some have, among other things, language check filters. I do agree that some servers have these filters set to extremes, blocking messages that include words like 'god'.

Whatever the case, if you disagree with specific server's rules or settings, I would advise you to take your feedback to said server owners, preferably by sending them a private message wherever they are reachable.
mike_o
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mike_o »

tainn wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:52 pm One thing many people seem to miss is that this game is not centralized. For the biggest part, every server has their own rules, which are made up by the server owners, usually the hosts.

Some servers have more severe rules set in place while some are more loose. Some have pure manual moderation while some have, among other things, language check filters. I do agree that some servers have these filters set to extremes, blocking messages that include words like 'god'.

Whatever the case, if you disagree with specific server's rules or settings, I would advise you to take your feedback to said server owners, preferably by sending them a private message wherever they are reachable.
yes, you're right. I wasn't really aware that different rules apply for different servers, so I may be mixing up things.