A way to download within bzflag the map?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

A way to download within bzflag the map?

Post by trpted »

#1 I heard/read in viewtopic.php?f=65&t=20163 that
blast wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:41 am The client never receives the actual world file. Only the server has all of the map file information. The client's save world feature recreates a BZW file from the binary object data that the client receives from the server, so it will not match the original map file. Additionally, it won't know about plugins that are loaded, such as the 'koth' plugin. I would suggest obtaining the original world file from the forums if it was released.

It sounds like you're just saying it isn't running in KOTH mode. If so, you've already been given the information necessary to enable KOTH mode.
#2 While I thanked them for that info, I verified that info.

#3 What they said is true - So, I was wondering if there is or could made a plug-in that allows (or changing the source code to allows) the whole map to downloaded by BZflag.

For example an existing plug-in = Fastmap.

Thank you
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: A way to download within bzflag the map?

Post by tainn »

I am an advocate of communication.

You can utilize info such as that of strayer's to find the owner of any server that hosts the map you want in particular, and ask them if they would be willing to share the world file, be it through the forums' private messaging system or any other medium.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

The client receives what it needs in order to let you play the game on that map. There is no avoiding this much. That doesn’t mean you have the right to take the map and use it for other things. Not all maps are released for arbitrary public use.

To use the map, get permission from the map author and get an official copy of the map at the same time. Mostly the feature being requested would just help facilitate piracy of maps.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Currently there is no way to 'download' the actual file from BZFlag.
A simple way around this, would be for the map author to have a server message listing where it may be found.

Code: Select all

-srvmsg "Map available for download at: https://www.example.com/sample-map.tar"
A plug-in could offer the same possibility, but an enhanced version of it.
Although most would not bother with doing such a set-up.
tainn wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 am I am an advocate of communication.

You can utilize info such as that of strayer's to find the owner of any server that hosts the map you want in particular, and ask them if they would be willing to share the world file, be it through the forums' private messaging system or any other medium.
I must add that server owners may not have permission to do so, if they are not the map author.
macsforme wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:08 am The client receives what it needs in order to let you play the game on that map. There is no avoiding this much. That doesn’t mean you have the right to take the map and use it for other things. Not all maps are released for arbitrary public use.

To use the map, get permission from the map author and get an official copy of the map at the same time. Mostly the feature being requested would just help facilitate piracy of maps.
This is not ideal, it should be a feature within the client for map downloading with licensing, if the map author permits it.(In my opinion.)
What should happen is that the map author would be able to enable an option within the map itself. If enabled, the client would be able to download the actual file, with licensing information included within it, otherwise the client would not be able to (download the map file).
This way, it would both respect the map authors wishes and make it easy for players to download the map file from within BZFlag as well.
Although would a feature like this be accepted?

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread