BZFlag on the Nintendo Switch (not a request)

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
kainxkitsune
Private
Private

BZFlag on the Nintendo Switch (not a request)

Post by kainxkitsune »

So I made a new account just to share this with everyone. I remember over the years of many users requesting mobile versions of bzflag and mostly getting shot down. (would be a pain to port, mobile devices suck, not powerful enough ect) funny enough switch through its hacking scene can run a full ARM Ubuntu install with 3D acceleration. so BZFlag is by all means completely playable, though it takes some doing to get the joycons working if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard handy. Anyways heres some screenshots of it in action (sorry for the glare on the screen its a very shiny screen and its very bright in this room)

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag on the Nintendo Switch (not a request)

Post by tainn »

That's... pretty darn epic!
kainxkitsune
Private
Private

Post by kainxkitsune »

tainn wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:51 pm That's... pretty darn epic!
Thank you! it's really easy to setup as well. just setup l4t ubuntu on the switch and a simple apt get install bzflag (although i do think thats a old version but building the newest isn't hard either)
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Looks quite nice. I can imagine it being a bit tricky to play, but still being fun and enjoyable.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
kainxkitsune
Private
Private

Post by kainxkitsune »

Zehra wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 pm Looks quite nice. I can imagine it being a bit tricky to play, but still being fun and enjoyable.

-Zehra
pretty much, I mean you Could hook up a keyboard and mouse and either play docked somewhere or have a bluetooth setup if a controller doesn't cut it. I think in some ways it could be a viable option to a laptop for very few people. I honestly sit to close to a real PC to bother, though now thinking about it perhaps a native port wouldn't be so hard to pull off set it up for controller support.
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

This is super cool! If I get a second switch I might do this.
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
Samson1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Samson1 »

Nice!
Sometimes tanks are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in how they kill.