BZFlag and Steam thoughts

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Frydman
Private
Private

BZFlag and Steam thoughts

Post by Frydman »

Hello,

I was just curious if there were any thoughts about making BZFlag available on the Steam store? I would love to see a new influx of players and this would probably be the best way to have more players. Any thoughts?
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: BZFlag and Steam thoughts

Post by Gollum »

I doubt they would. Just with how past things have gone trying to gain control of BZflag, and also the capabilities of BZFlag in how its coded (Im not smart in that area, but understand its ancient).

It would be amazing, but highly unlikely.
blast
General
General

Re: BZFlag and Steam thoughts

Post by blast »

It's something that a couple of the devs have looked at over the years. There's also sites like itch.io and GameJolt that focus on indie games. It's something worth thinking about again. Kinda depends how we want to handle distribution and updates.

Currently we're still being packaged in Linux distributions, for instance, and that causes some headaches as many distributions don't package updates in a released version of their OS. For instance, Debian (and most Debian-based distributions) would only include a new version of the game every time they push a new major release of their operating system. So when we want to break compatibility to fix flaws or add new features, that splits the community during the transition. Flatpak, snaps, AppImage, and similar solutions can help with that. So eventually we may want to have some kind of launcher/updater that behaves the same on all platforms to make things easier for users.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)