F12 abuse, revisited

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
mike_o
Private First Class
Private First Class

F12 abuse, revisited

Post by mike_o »

Could we have an end to this crazyness, please? I was just playing with alcatraz (green team) against tsunami (red team), when tsunami decided to leave. I then signed off (normal way, as usual) to enter the vacant, red team, but upon sign-on, I had been banned for "F12 abuse".

Cmon, what IS going on???
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: F12 abuse, revisited

Post by kierra »

Fixed it for you, mike_o
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

A few minor adjustments to the algorithm could improve the plug-in.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
The Noah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Noah »

Personally I think the plugin shouldn't exist. Every single time I exit via F12, and I get it's trying to stop abuse but I don't think that's not they way to do it. I'm not sure what is, and it would be great if it was stopped, but not by banning people for quitting with way too many false positives.
I've been working on a real-time stats site called BZList, please check it out! It is still in active development, so some features are missing and watch out for bugs.

GitHub · Website · Get in touch · Stalk Me
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

tbh, I don't see it happening often. When it does, most players known to me pm me about it and it's taken care of.
It does serve somewhat a purpose....as it came about because of f12 abuse.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It's a matter of data. Too little is being used for making well "informed" decisions.
The algorithm could use some minor tweaking as well.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
mike_o
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mike_o »

Banned again. This time playing under the unregistered name of "tranga" on the Planet-MoFo.com:4202 / Apocalyse twenty/twenty! server. I decided to quit when I was on top and most of my team had left. Used the normal "esc-quit-enter" procedure and still got banned. There was no capping going on and I was not in front of a geno.

I do get the feeling that either one of the admins is angry with me or some of the other players have a back door to the ban office. It's simply bizarre. Could someone look into this?

thanks

Mike
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It's just a plugin that mofo runs making ill informed decisions on limited data.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Per Optic Delusion, the best time to f12 to avoid being whammo'd is to die first then f12
optic delusion wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:38 am the F12 plugin has never been perfect, but it has performed it's intended purpose. Few times do players F12 to keep from being geno'd. At least much fewer than it was in the past. The price we pay is the occasional false positive. It banned me once.
If you intend to rejoin, wait until you're dead before you sign out, and you'll never have this problem.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

A whitelist for it could offer some benefit, but may not be worth the effort.
Or either waiting for "impossible" conditions to avoid triggering it's autoban measure.
But who knows, it might be possible for some bugs to be worked out in a later version, if it were to happen.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Why does need to use f12 to quit in the first place?

Likewise why does one need to use F5 to take a screenshot?

Please and thank you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

trpted wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:23 pm Why does need to use f12 to quit in the first place?

Likewise why does one need to use F5 to take a screenshot?

Please and thank you.
Why would someone use the the fast quit button to quit the game, or use the screenshot button to take a screenshot? Are you really asking that? I'm hoping that the tone is just being lost with the transition to text and you're not serious.

The plugin can't detect you using F12, only that you have left the game. It just as equally bans you for rejoining, using the "Leave Game" menu, or joining another server. It's a flawed, user hostile plugin.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Hmm interesting.

Ok.

The plug-in should be fixed.

In the meantime while waiting for a fix I suggest either not using the plugin or telling users to make sure that they are dead before leaving the server if they intend to rejoin.

Please and thank you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The plugin, which mofo wrote, is working as mofo designed it, but it's a flawed design. Don't expect a fix because there's not really much room to improve the flawed design.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

So...

..should it be removed/killed off?
..server admins should stop using it. if they have not already?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This is one server with the plugin. It's their choice. It has nothing to do with the BZFlag project.

B O
Private
Private

Post by B O »

First time ever, Baned for logging out.