The current usage of BZAdmin

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

The current usage of BZAdmin

Post by Zehra »

For those who still currently use BZAdmin from time to time, what are the main things you use it for?
Also, if anything could be added/removed to it, what would it be?

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The current usage of BZAdmin

Post by trpted »

As to what the main thing(s) it is used for, points to a page at the bzflag wiki.

Bzflag wiki -> Client -> BZAdmin

I do not if anything could be added/removed to it as you requested.

As to why there is no link from Documentation or Help from the main site, I do not know for sure.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@trpted, please take more time to read posts for their meaning and context.
(The BZFlagWiki is additionally depreciated and much content is simply outdated there as well. So it is not recommended to cite, reference, link or quote it.)

For those who still currently use BZAdmin from time to time, what are the main things you use it for?
Extended translation: This post is mainly directed to anyone who does use the program titled/called "bzadmin" either frequently or infrequently. What tends to be the reason for your usage of the program? (Logging, automated actions, scripted actions..etc)

Also, if anything could be added/removed to it, what would it be?
If there was something which could be removed or added to the "bzadmin" program, what would be that thing wished to be seen added to "bzadmin" or removed from "bzadmin"?

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

trpted: remember, always, there is the official documentation, which comes with the game (included files into the game directory/folders).

I think people use bzadmin as:
- an easy and low resources way to login on their own servers and check all the activity, being able to run commands to administrate it;
- for players: sometimes you can't (or don't want to) run a computer normally or a normal bzflag session (with graphics) then bzadmin is a good solution.

Console tools/programs, as bzadmin, are always useful and necessary. As a comparison to general operating systems use: you have both graphical programs and console programs; both are necessary; sometimes it's useful to use the former, other times, the latter.

Do you want more detail in my answer? According to private talk, if you are thinking on scripts or plug-ins, take into account not to repeat the work ("don't re-invent the wheel"). Though, if bzadmin has own bugs, they should just be fixed.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Mostly, I'm interested in the usage of bzadmin by server owners or operators.
(Since some have mentioned using it for logging, compare to using the "logDetail" plug-in.)

This would indicate what could be improved or simply provided as an option for logging a server.
(Do people prefer "bzadmin" style logs over "logDetail"?)
(Do people like the ability to customize their logs in bzadmin, compare to logDetail?)

Also, for players, if it some things could be added or made as features or even integrations within the game client.
Simply with some info, it means new possibilities may exist.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Using http://www.bzstats.strayer.de/ AND OR https://bzlist.net/ I saw

#1 at Online Players for bzadmin that, that client is on bzfs.tuxee.net:5152, 5153, 5155 and 5156.

#2 and I found out who owns those servers. Server owner is cods (REF at these forums = memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1144). I PMed/IMed/DMed them in the hopes that they will reply to this thread of yours. ;)
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Thanks trpted.

I'll soon be releasing something inspired by BZAdmin in the coming days.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
Cods
Private
Private

Post by Cods »

Hi. Sorry for late reply. I use bzadmin as a way to track what is happening on the servers. I run them in a tmux (or screen). The benefits is that I don't need a graphical client to look at the activity (I can just use plain SSH).
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

since im a terrible player i mostly just use bzadmin to monitor my servers and chat :)