player ID in score question

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

player ID in score question

Post by trpted »

In the thread viewtopic.php?f=91&t=20494 about that/those screenshots: Where it says player and the number:

#1 that is an admin/ a cop / a mod thing (different wording with the same meaning: Not a normal / regular user thing) ?

#2 Is that built into bzflag or that a plug-in?

#3 If a plug-in, which one?

#4 Plug-in or not, (note as need be assume that I am the admin, like to my own [truelly private or public listed or not] server), how does one use that feature?

Please and thank you
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: player ID in score question

Post by kierra »

trypted, for sure admins see players number. Not sure about cops
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

1. It's relatively common among admin and cop usergroups.
2. It's a feature within BZFlag.(Plug-ins also get to see player/slot ids, but handle it differently.)
3. ^see above.
4. It's tied to a specific permission. If I remember correctly, it's either the playerlist or ban/shortban permission.(However, I may be mistaken.)

As for usage, it tends to used as a shortcut for bans, kicks and mutes, although if it is used in that manner, caution is recommended, as the player may leave and another may join in that specific slot.(Thus creating a possibility for mistaken bans or kicks.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

That is a player's slot number. It is assigned per session.

From the client's perspective, they do not hold special functionality over reference by IP or callsign. Their usage should be omitted whenever possible.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

I tested on a truelly private server (not forwarding ports behind NAT router and bzfflag does not do IPv6 yet), can confirm: built in and admins see it. But not sure what specific permission.

Since it's usage should be omitted whenever possible (because it cause trouble with kicking/banning), why does this/that feature stiill exist (and not taken out)?

Please and Thank You
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It can be used when issuing bans or kicks, but because the numbers get reused if a player leaves and someone else joins (or simply because they're easy to type wrong), it can lead to kicking/banning the wrong player. It is tied to having either the PLAYERLIST permission or having the admin status (the @ by your name). It isn't secret information as all clients receive this information, and they use it to tell the server who they got shot by, determine who a shot belongs to, etc. So no, it isn't a plugin. It's just part of the stock client.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:09 pm It isn't secret information as all clients receive this information, and they use it to tell the server who they got shot by, determine who a shot belongs to, etc. So no, it isn't a plugin. It's just part of the stock client.
Would you agree that it should be used only for that for now on and not for kicking/banning anymore?

And why not, if not?

Please and thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't understand your question.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

You asked for it you got with different wording so you understand.

It should be used only internaly by bzflag (ex for telling who shot who). If you disagree with that, please explain why.

Please and thank you
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

My recommendation is to not use it for kicks/bans as it's easy to kick/ban the wrong person.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

I understand that. I asked if that should not possible to ban that way anymore and it is used only internaly by bzflag (ex for telling who shot who).

Please and thank you
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

In the far future, the HUD will be redesigned, and eventually banning and kicked will be something in a dropdown-like menu. As to whether or not to remove this feature, I don't see the harm in keeping it around. It can be useful to refer to really long callsigns for admins who don't have tab-complete enabled in their clients.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

allejo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 pm As to whether or not to remove this feature, I don't see the harm in keeping it around. It can be useful to refer to really long callsigns for admins who don't have tab-complete enabled in their clients.
#1 That is the short tem goal.

#2 Please tell me more about this tab-complete feature. Is it built in or plug-in, what version one nust have at least and how to use it.
allejo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 pm In the far future, the HUD will be redesigned, and eventually banning and kicked will be something in a dropdown-like menu.
Since that is the long term goal, will it be removed then?

*Different wording for understanding.*

Once the HUD has been redesigned so that it uses a dropdown-like menu, why does the admin need the player ID since they will no longer need to type in or use tab-complete the user name of the person that they want to kick/ban?

Please and thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

It's what is being envisioned, not an absolute millimeter by millimeter specification for a CNC mill.

What is being mentioned is a possibility and it is not set in stone. There is a varied number of different ideas, but this one seems to be the one with the most probability of being made. The small details like if to keep the option to kick by player slot aren't likely to be forecast as an absolute at this point in time.
trpted wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:28 pm Once the HUD has been redesigned so that it uses a dropdown-like menu, why does the admin need the player ID since they will no longer need to type in or use tab-complete the user name of the person that they want to kick/ban?
This is solely from my perspective, but having slot id visible is useful at times in debugging and testing plug-ins.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

trpted wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:28 pm #2 Please tell me more about this tab-complete feature. Is it built in or plug-in, what version one nust have at least and how to use it.
Input Settings > Jump While Typing. Make sure it's set to "No." This will allow you to tab-complete names
trpted wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:28 pm
allejo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:25 pm In the far future, the HUD will be redesigned, and eventually banning and kicked will be something in a dropdown-like menu.
Since that is the long term goal, will it be removed then?
If we do go down the road of a dropdown menu. Then probs.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

You can also leave Jump While Typing turned on and use F2 as the completion key.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

blast wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:36 am You can also leave Jump While Typing turned on and use F2 as the completion key.
Where is the F2 setting for that?

All I see in Options -> Input -> Change Key Mapping for F keys is/are:

#1 Shift+F1 Main Message Tab

#2 Shift+F2 Chat Message Tab

#3 Shift+F3 Server Message Tab

#4 Shift+F4 Misc Message Tab

#5 and in -> Define quick key: Alt+F1 to Alt+F10 Send to All = Blank, Ctrl+F1 to Ctrl+F10 Send to Team = Blank.

---

While I did not see any settings for what you are talking about, I saw that feature working on a server.

#1 First need to try to send a message (ex n to all / m to team).

#2 Then type in the first letter / number of their user name.

#3 Followed by F2

#4 It will show all users with that first letter / user name.

#5 If you know the first two letters/numbers, instead of the first letter/number only - type in the first two numbers / letters and then press F2.

Please and Thank you

PS: Sample screen shot that I took was on my own not public server.
bzflag auto.png
ex after I typed in t if I were to press F2, the only user would be trpted. If I were to press g and F2, it would show all the guest and I would have to select which guest to send the message to.
(214.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Some keys, like F2, are hard-coded.

tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tainn »

Since hard-coded keys were mentioned, if you're interested in the code reference, see here.

For some reason I couldn't get any ctrl + key shortcuts to work for me (that would namely be ctrl + F or ^F here), but <TAB> and F2 work fine.