Stealth Assault

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Stealth Assault

Post by Zehra »

Stealth Assault is a proposed new game mode to be implemented as a plug-in/map generation hybrid.

Stealth Assault takes a different approach compare to how we currently play. Simply looking at the radar leaves one blind, simply looking outside the window leaves one oblivious to the ever changing game.

High speed shots and stealth flags on spawn help accomplish all of this and make it an interesting combo of strategy and tactics, as to know when to camp and when to roam is the key to all this, however luck does play a major role in all of this.

The battlefield contains a lot of buildings and a [wide] variety of structures [, if more complex map generation is used]. Slow tank speeds make travelling across this battlefield a difficult and dangerous task, however any time a tank is destroyed, the tank killer's position is revealed on radar [and perhaps on the battlefield by signal flares].

The stable structures and buildings provide excellent cover and ambush positions, so tanks may appear anywhere and use heights to rain down shots on unsuspecting parties, however carefully timed and aimed shots with an upwards jump may strike down down tanks camping among the heights.(Vetical velocity is enabled on this mode.)

In addition, the option of spawning in a chosen sector is an option, as the map is divided in a grid like pattern. (The possibility of *safe* spawns as a choice is being considered and would place players where no players are, reducing the possibility of ambushes.)

Ideally, this leads to the game mechanics where it's easy to camp, but difficult to continually do so, as camping without a plan presents easy opportunities for others. On the flip side however, it does present where decent planning can play an extremely strong game, despite skill differences.

Players have the option of camping or roaming, roaming is obvious, but provides advantages in terms of being able to see what is hidden, but risks being exposed, camping provides advantage in hiding, but risks being unaware of what is going on.

And now for the technical stuff, as this is how it all is accomplished.

Zoned shots or bullet trickery is used to give away killer positions.
Likely circles or circular forms of shot arrangements will be used to highlight positions, as there is no real way of doing so in game and this appears highly visible on radar, so it should work fine in theory, but some fine adjustments will be needed to make this work alright.
It likely will be a single instance or 3 instances of shot arrangements and it may be an option.
(A single one is like a notification, 3 seems to be more like sonar.)

The map is made in around 9 sections and put together in a grid.
Players can simply spawn or they can have their spawns handled, so commands like /spawn 1 allow spawning in the 1 section of the grid. (Maybe a number appears on radar or a notification of where they were?)
Safe spawning could be a slash command, so players are spawned hidden or where there are no players.
The command would then be /spawn safely.

The maps are entirely scripted, as making a single map would become overly predictable and it would be unfair long term.
Complex and detailed structures and building or simple buildings as in Urban Jungle could be made without much difficulty.

The mode plays in free for all or open free for all, or possibly free for all with rogues.
The game dynamics do change quite a bit depending on the mode.

Bounties based on kill streaks may be done as a way to offer greater incentive for locating highly skilled players in said mode.

Thoughts?
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Stealth Assault

Post by Zehra »

Update on technical aspects:
Zoned shots implementation deemed impractical compare to alternatives. Requires excessive amount of bullet trickery to manipulate shot speeds. (a.k.a. no PZ shot speed/lifetime settings without altering regular shots.)

Time locked shots are still being considered for PZ shots, however may prove unsatisfactory in terms of performance. Results deem inconsistent performance with time locked shots. (There is some various "hacks" to improve performance, hence time lock shots still are a possibility.)

Any and all feedback and/or questions is welcomed.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread