How does one "escape" a game window in Linux?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Apocalypso
Private First Class
Private First Class

How does one "escape" a game window in Linux?

Post by Apocalypso »

I typically play BZ with a Linux client. If I set the window smaller using F1, how can I escape the window (lose focus) and put the focus on my desktop? IIRC, when I've used Windows, I could do an Alt-Tab and it work. Alt-Tab doesn't appear to work in Linux (ftr, I am using Ubuntu 20.04 with Gnome desktop).

Thanks!
"People don't think it be like it is but it do."

I am the GREAT APOC!!! :twisted:
blast
General
General

Re: How does one "escape" a game window in Linux?

Post by blast »

If you change the mouse confinement mode from "Window" to "Mouse Box", it should let you Alt-Tab.

Otherwise, I'd avoid using the version packaged with Ubuntu as Debian does silly stuff with their packaging, such as running a game server automatically. They're also still using SDL 1 instead of SDL 2. With SDL 2 I can Alt-Tab even if I have mouse confinement set to window. You could try using the snap version that we maintain.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Apocalypso
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How does one "escape" a game window in Linux?

Post by Apocalypso »

Thanks, Blast.

I compile mine ffrom source though I'm still on 2.4.18 (I think it is instead of 2.4.22). The latest one seems to be slightly with my graphics card -- making side turns screws up fr's for some reason. Would be interested in any input as to why that happens incidentally.

Thanks again!
"People don't think it be like it is but it do."

I am the GREAT APOC!!! :twisted: