Control The Field Aspects - CTFA

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Control The Field Aspects - CTFA

Post by Zehra »

Ongoing research into game modes leads to an interesting discovery, nothing yet combines CTF and FFA into hybrid type of modes.

Capping flags is tedious and the frequent back and forth with the flags leaves much to be desired... Free for all is only where the best players gain score or the lucky ones with powerful flags... Which is why a bit of thought has gone into this concept.

Instead, successfully reaching the flag is considered success, we now factor in enemy opposition in the scoring. Doing well in kill to death ratio also contributes to your team score. We now factor in the performance of the players and team as a whole.

This is Control The Field Aspects or CTFA, a new hybrid game mode designed to bridge the gap between the two modes and offer new possibilities.

What changes from CTF and FFA compare to CTFA?

1. Benefiting the team benefits yourself.
In CTF, everything is for the flags, personal score is considered irrelavent, however in FFA, only your score and kill/death ratio is considered important, as the whole kills/death ratio of the team is considered the team score.

"Capping" the flag in CTFA is different, your score goes up, similar to a bounty, same as the team score, but be careful not to camp on the enemy base, as a safety zone to prevent spawn camping/capping exists.

2. Spawn positions
Unlike in CTF where the spawns can be painfully far away from the action, CTFA attempts to prevent and/or reduce this to a large extent by selecting spawns where the action is more likely to be and places a more focus on a defensive style of play with quick advances from time to time.

3. Better risk and reward strategy.
Smaller risks minimize reward, larger risks maximize it, also the counters used adjust the amount of risk and reward, depending on the results of the actions. (Best seen in actual game play.)

4. Counters to tactics and strategy.
This is designed to play where strong strategy game play or strong tactics can easily turn the game. Each technique roughly has a strategy which goes ahead of it and a tactical counter which goes to the side of it, hence it should give more in depth game play, compare to either FFA or CTF solely.

5. Simple beats complex
This mode is better described as CTF being factored into FFA or FFA point values being considered in CTF. Unlike either one, the scoring is simple, the best kill/death ratio wins, with caps and their risk being counted in the value.

---

Okay, for those who want it brief and to the point:
This mode is basically "TicketBattle", but we also count in a form "caps" which is simply reaching the enemy flag, which are technically geno.

The other aspects are just finer controls to improve game play, such as anti spawn camping/capping.

---

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, questions?

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Control The Field Aspects - CTFA

Post by trpted »

Cool idea. :idea-alt:

Is there any released plug-ins for this?

If not, any ideas as to when?

Regardless of when, what is the licence?

Are there maps for this?

If not, how would one convert a CTF map to CTFA?

Please and thank you
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

A plug-in has been in the works for a bit, and in around 1-2 days or so, a server running the plug-in should be online. (I'll add a post announcing the server and port.)

I haven't originally thought about a plug-in release for it, but I'll consider it, same as the license, as the plug-in contains some hardcoded sections and doesn't really support an easy way of customizing things.

There hasn't yet been any specific maps made for it. But in general, any CTF map should work well enough or even FFA map when bases are added, it's just the location and how it plays out for bases too.

Still, as long as it isn't too easy for one team to reach the other base, it should make a decent enough map for CTFA.

I'll see what can be done with the plug-in and if everything goes okay, we may see a plug-in release, but no guarantee on this.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The server should go up in the next day or two. If not, I'll release a simplified version of the "TicketBattle" plug-in some days after, as this plug-in would work without issues on either mode. (FFA or CTF.)

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread