Making an official video tutorial for BZ Flag

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Moroni
Private First Class
Private First Class

Making an official video tutorial for BZ Flag

Post by Moroni »

Hey guys,

I realize that a big reason new players leave so fast is that they have no idea what they are doing and they don't have anyone to help them get better. When I first joined, I had several players take me under their wing and train me which I am so grateful for. No one has the time to teach every new player how to play and frankly, no one wants to take on that role. I get that. The biggest problem is BZ Flag is unlike any other game out there so no matter what, it will be awkward at first, and it has a big learning curve. Since we are not in the good ol' days where there is a plethora of players to teach the newbies, I figured the best way to share our knowledge is to have an official video tutorial. I've been thinking about it for a while, but the biggest reason I haven't done it is that I don't know how to edit videos/make them high-quality.

I will write the script, record audio of me reading the script, and record the video that goes along with the script. I would like any feedback or suggestions you guys had, but this is how I wanted to structure the video:

Welcome to BZ Flag -> explain the HUD -> give a suggestion on the best settings for optimal gameplay (leading shots, radar shot lines, big radar, radar opacity, etc) -> explain the advantages and disadvantages of both mouse and keyboard players -> show how to shoot properly (using the full speed of tank) -> jumping (spin jumps, slide jumps, etc.) -> dodging -> basics of super flags.

If any of you want to work on this project with me, just message me on discord, or send me a pm.

-Moroni aka Slyther366

P.S Once this video is out I would also like to create videos regarding tips and tricks using super flags and hix basics, but that's for later.
blast
General
General

Re: Making an official video tutorial for BZ Flag

Post by blast »

Some things to consider:
  • The video should either be 1920x1080 or 1280x720 resolution at either 30 or 60 FPS, and include sound.
  • Version 2.4.26 is coming out this weekend which fixes the popping audio sound and some texture skewing issues, so that should be used for videos.
  • If shadows are enabled, set them to stencil, NOT stipple. Otherwise the shadows can create weird spots on the video when scaled to difference sizes.
  • It might be a good idea to use mostly stock settings so that things look like what a new player would be seeing. The client can be set to use a different configuration directory or file if you want to leave your main config unaffected.
  • Individual flag information pages can have a video. For example, I created a simple one for Laser.
  • If you're needing servers set up to create these tutorials, let the community know. I could set up some private servers with a replay server, for instance.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

WHAMMO!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Making an official video tutorial for BZ Flag

Post by WHAMMO! »

I think the video idea is a very good one and much needed. I always try to offer to newbs help but few rarely take me up on it. Not sure I can contribute to your project much but the video should be displayed right on the download page prominently.