CTF Stats: a question

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
dave_jacobsen
Private First Class
Private First Class

CTF Stats: a question

Post by dave_jacobsen »

On the boards I usually play, no kills are given for capturing the enemy flag. Why not? Getting the flag kills the other tanks just as completely as a bullet does. Not only that, it's risky to go for the flag, so you should be rewarded. I hate to see people stay away from the flag to protect their stats...that's what FFA is for. Any thoughts?
larsl
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by larsl »

Personal stats shouldn't matter in CTF - I'd like a way to turn off kill points altogether.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I say the only point you need is the team score. There's no way to record who helps you capture, who distracts the enemy defense, who provides cover. Plus if it were any realistic amount (i.e., more than one point because it's worth more than just one) we'd see more competition within the team to take the flag - perhaps even teamkilling.

And while we're at it, I'll just mention again that I think geno should only give you one point per hit.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I would like to see individual points for flag captures, more points than for a kill. I think individual scores help promote team play, to an extent. "I got 5 flag captures!"

But points only for flag captures doesn't promote defense of the flag carrier. So kill points are not all bad. Be nice to have separate columns, kills and flag captures.

There are a lot of players who play ctf just to get superweapons and high kill scores. Personal flag capture scores would provide a new objective for them.

IMO, the team score doesn't really mean much in itself in open ctf servers, because people come and go, and the teams can experience an entire turnover in minutes without resetting the team scores.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

even though CTF is suppose to be a team effort , i'd still like to see some credit given to individual players for their flag captures . this would add an incentive and help remind players that it's a CTF and not a FFA map they're playing on . but instead of getting kill points added to your score for capturing , there should be a seperate tally on the scoreboard for the number of captures a player has made .
it would be an interesting and useful statistic i think . you would know who the flag runners tend to be on a particular team ;)
though you may or may not have carried the flag all the way yourself ...you were the one that brought it in .
sort of like the RBI(runs-batted-in) statistic in baseball ...even though you did not score the actual homerun , you were the one at bat that allowed the scorer to come in .
keeping track of individual flag captures on the scoreboard would also benefit the HTF gamestyle and make it easier to figure out each players' score .
dave_jacobsen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Another idea...

Post by dave_jacobsen »

It's true that individual stats shouldn't matter in team play, but the fact is that for a lot of people they do. (One nice service they do provide, though, is quickly sorting out which tanks are particularly dangerous.) I like the idea of a tally for flag captures, but like someone pointed out, you may have carried it only ten percent of the way home. I've just been frustrated when it seems like I'm the only one on a team who's really trying to play CTF. Like when I make a run for the flag, get it, and other tanks act like, "Who cares, I'm just building up my stats with GM." Or, in another example, if the other team is guarding their flag with a GM, I'll try to kill the GM over and over until it's gone, since our team can't succeed with the GM where it is. What happens to my stats? Way down, while another teammate who may be playing selfishly appears to be much better. Are there any servers who have made any of the modifications you all are suggesting? Can you even change those things? What about different kill points depending on what flag the tank you kill has? Or a tally of time each team has controlled their flag? Or a tally of the time each tank has held the enemy flag? Maybe if something more painful happened to you when the other team got your flag, more people would focus on the CTF aspect. What if a green capture of the red flag gave all the reds five deaths and all the greens five kills? Just thinking out loud here. You can tell that CTF is my favorite style...I'll keep playing it no matter what strategy everyone around me seems to be using :)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Another idea...

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

though additional stats would be nice to know ..it might be an information overload ... complicating and confusing players , and cluttering the screen up . a simple capture tally wouldn't take up much space however , as captures are not as common . so their numbers will usually remain in the single digits .

a possible example:

score(kills-deaths)[teamkills]*captures* callsign/flag

10(20-10)[0]*2* BZflag Player/GM

it would also be proper that the tally appear on CTF/HTF map servers only .

yes/no/maybe?
" I've just been frustrated when it seems like I'm the only one on a team who's really trying to play CTF. Like when I make a run for the flag, get it, and other tanks act like, "Who cares, I'm just building up my stats with GM."
yea =/
there are times when my score isn't that great , and people make fun of me =( but they don't realize how many times i've sacrificed myself to save , carry , and capture the flag for my team =\
" Maybe if something more painful happened to you when the other team got your flag, more people would focus on the CTF aspect."
.. many players loathe an despise base campers ... but when apathetic players start to realize there's an anxious camper with SW waiting on their base ... maybe they will think twice about letting an enemy tank carrying their team flag slip past them ;P