Are you willing to test new features of bzflag?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

toaster, the 1.11.x graphics system is about to
undergo an overhaul. your problems may be related
to GL context switches, or the order in which GL
resources are being allocated. besides resetting
your config, you can also running in windowed mode
and resizing it (to do this, you may have to change
the mouse confinement option under input settings).
A quick alt-tab may also fix your problem. if neither
of these work for you, then you'll have to wait for the
rewrite to be committed. it should prove to be faster,
more stable, and have a couple of fun new features
that can be applied to maps.

trepan
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Running winxp pro, have an AMD2200+ processor with a VIA chipset motherboard and onboard S3 Savagepro. I did have a Geforce 5600XT board with latest drivers, and the onboard S3 disabled. The only 3D game that was unstable on it was BZflag 1.10.6. So I took it out, reverted to the onboard video. It has the absolute latest drivers from S3 as of last week. Also, the latest drivers for the motherboard chipset, onboard sound, onboard networking, etc.

It now runs 1.10.6 reliably, but you see what happens when I run 1.11.15 and 16. 1.11.10 was okay, the last beta release I was testing, alongside 1.10.6.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the nvidia should run a hell of a lot better then that savage pro crap.
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Yeah, it should, and it did until I upgraded to 1.10.6. Then, random crashes while running BZ. The board was hot, but the Nvidia folks told me that's not a problem. I installed a fan directly on it, anyway, which kept the heat sink cooler, and I added another cabinet fan to the chassis to force more air through it. Ambient temp in the chassis is down by 12 degrees F.

I went through 4 sets of drivers for that nvidia card once this started, awaiting updates. Finally got tired of fighting it - other things to do.

I can get semi-decent frame rates with the S3 if i turn off some of the features. It's not as good as it was, but at least I can play.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Okay, it's working now. Trepan, I tried your suggestion, and cycling through let me find this: It only works in 8 bit color mode, no matter the resolution. Any of the 16- or 32-bit plane modes yield results like I posted.

Yet, the 1.10.6 is running fine in 32 bit mode.
-toaster
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the current nvidia drivers REALY want directX9 as well, you will want to make sure you have it installed.

the savage sucks in blend modes
ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Ah, thanks for the hint about DX9, Patlabor, it might help some graphics glitch I'm having.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

DirectX 9.0c installed already about the day it was released, while I was trying to fix the GeForce board problem.

I tried turning off blending, shadows, lighting, and all other features. Tried all quality levels. Problem remains. No combination I tried would clear it up.

Oh, and Trepan, the windowed version retains the problem no matter what resolution is selected, or the number of bit planes.

Also, new feature: I run Windows at 1280x1024, 32 bit. Same with BZ 1.10.6. Now, when I configured 1.11.16 at 8 bit, close the program, and restart it, it takes up only the upper left quarter of the screen, leaves the Windows display background visible on the other quadrants. If I go through options and change the resolution, it reverts to full screen. (This is not the windowing version I'm describing.)

Really odd behaviour. Is there a newer OpenGL driver out there somewhere?
-toaster
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

toaster, not always the latest nVidia is the best; you can have a look at www.laptopvideo2go.com for more info and many drivers. This is true for the laptops, but I think it might help for the desktops too.

Patlabor: what about the "no servers/wrong version" problem? Is 1.11.16 really 1.11.16? Why does it report itself as 1.11.15?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the only dif between 15 and 16 is the list server thing, so the build may have been done before the app version changed, it's the same protocoll as 15
ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

there seems to be a server (trepan.something.somethingelse?) using a later version, though?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

posibly, trepan is working on changes, so he makes servers that are in "future" versions.

Basicly he hasn't checked in his changes yet so he is the only one who has the code. When he's done and sure it works, he Commits the code to CVS and then we all can get it and build it.

that's the beauty of the versioning sytem, it lets him test servers ,and not have to deal with regular users coming in and poibly crashing because they don't have his new cod.e
ImageJeffM
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

I've only got 1.11.16 servers running. (0006)
Looks like Tup bumped the protocol without
bumping the rev number. No biggee.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

that bastard ;)

we can bump to 17 thisweenend and squeep out a new build for them.
ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Thanks guys :)

Of course it would be eveng greater if there actually was anybody online around noon GMT+1 (+DST) ... :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I've made a new build of 1.11.16 that has the new protocoll version that the server are running..

you all want to get this http://bzbb.bzflag.org/builds/1.11/bzflag1.11.16.1.exe
ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Cool!
romfis-austria
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by romfis-austria »

HI

on trepan.homelinux.net:8192 is server version BZFS0007 !!

W32 here ?

cu.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

version in cvs is still 0006, you'll just have to wait, as I said, those devs who do protocoll changes can run future versions. His others ervers are running the CVS version.

Remmember that dev servers are just for testing, they are not up for just playing, so they can change/go down at any time.
ImageJeffM
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

is there a mac build yet?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we don't really have anyone who can make mac builds of the testing versions.

best way if you are on a mac is to build it yourself.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ImageJeffM
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Crashes with "Runtime error" after downloading the world map, on my system.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

oblomov wrote:Crashes with "Runtime error" after downloading the world map, on my system.
Same thing for me. Even tried running bzfs locally with no options, and it still bombed.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

welcome to the world of development :)
ImageJeffM