Flag passing

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
dave_jacobsen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Flag passing

Post by dave_jacobsen »

In CTF, the flag can be "passed" several ways. I know about dropping it on a pyramid, but what are the other ways? I seem to see people passing it all the time... Thanks!
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

"passing" the flag is possible on CTF game servers that allow jumping/falling tanks .

your team flag can also be passed back by dropping it(not landing with it ;) over the enemy's base .

or on multi-team CTF maps , you can pass any teams' flag by dropping it over any different colored base .
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Also, some maps like Viper's Two Castles have blue "moats" that are really flat pyramids. Again, you can drop the flag over these to pass.

When you release the flag, it "appears" about one jump's height above you and falls. If you're under a pyramid that's off the ground, and if the flag would appear above or inside the pyramid, that will work, too. In some places you can jump up under a pyramid and release the flag.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Little side note: When you drop a flag while just underneath a box (not pyramid), it will land on the top of the surface above you. This is a pretty useful technique on the Two Castles map as it allows you to store your flag in the tower safe spot without making a dangerous trek half way around the map.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

actually if you drop it--- technically --- under a pyramid it will go on top of the pyramid. then activate the illegal flag positions code. just a guess but it would be a lot of xtra trouble if im wrong.
sherman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sherman »

I never got why that's an illegal position. I can understand on the enemy pad, but you can jump on pyramids. Why can't you leave a flag there?
nobody
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

well i spose your right but you'd have to have real good aim. and say once in the gu2.de or something server you could go up drop the flag in a crevice and never get it out, point is there is enough need for admins doing flag resets as it is we don't need pyramids stealing flags.
dave_jacobsen
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dave_jacobsen »

sherman wrote:I never got why that's an illegal position. I can understand on the enemy pad, but you can jump on pyramids. Why can't you leave a flag there?
I think it's illegal because you can't *drive* on a pyramid. It would take forever to jump onto just the right spot to pick up the flag.

Thanks for the tips, all! It makes sense with the two castles map...I didn't know the rivers counted as pyramids. I have seen people drop the flag up into the "safe-box" from the ground, which is a good trick. Am I correct in thinking that if you're in the "safe-box" with a flag, then jump and release, that will pass the flag as well? I usually just shoot myself in that box to pass the flag! :oops:

What other cool tricks do people know? What's your favorite / most satisfying thing to do in a CTF match? I like curving GMs around corners... :o
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Yes! You can pass the flag by dropping it from that well in the tower if you are in the air. It can be a pain if you do it without thinking.

And Scorch, my instinct - common sense rather - agrees with what you said.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."