Total votes: 20

Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZ for Game Console

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

Yo.
BZFlag is awsome.
The new graphics are sweet, but I tend to drift to my entertainment system, simply because of its easy interface, and complete compatablity.
Im just curious.
would BZ b popular on the console?
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

I think there are already BZFlag games for other consoles... I think there was one for X-Box?
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

*snicka*

no i think that was someones' april fool's joke ;P

it would be kinda kewl tho if it was for real .
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

At one point there was a real project that was going to port BZFlag to consoles, but I don't think it ever got anywhere.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Maybe you heard about the Nintendo DS. bzflag would be perfect for this system. It has two screens (one for radar, one for gameplay), graphic-power like the Nintendo64 (should be enough) and built in wireless-gaming-ability.
It would be wonderful to see bzflag ported to this system. *dreaming*
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

lol.
April fools indeed.
:-D
I wish itd b on console.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BZFlag Console Edition (it was discontinued due to lack of interest)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

|tim|
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by |tim| »

I think it'd be nice to have it on x-box, but a hassle for me, I don't got the cash for x-box live. And I don't want to sit and play bots all day :-D

~Bring the Pain!~
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

it'd be nice, but i think there would have to be a massive operation to convert the c++ code to the console code, am i right? if that's true, updates would be a dredge and the project would probably die (like it already did). I like dreaming too, and BZ for console would be great, but sometimes i have to think of reality.
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

Wait a minute! April Fools joke?!?!? Man, I feel kinda stupid right now.... Anyway, if it was on a console, it would have to be bots only, but code would have to change to make them smarter. And the whole server ideas would be gone, since there is no connection with those. If you think, "Man, wouldn't it be cool to play on my server on a console!", forget about it. I just don't think it would be as good as having it on computer.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The main problem with releasing a console version is the fact that it would probably be a commercial release (on CDs). This would make it nearly impossible to update the software. Unless it would be run on linux for the PS2 and XBox. The Linux kit for the PS2 isn't even sold in the USA anymore, because they stopped producing them.
Memnarch wrote:Anyway, if it was on a console, it would have to be bots only, but code would have to change to make them smarter. And the whole server ideas would be gone, since there is no connection with those. If you think, "Man, wouldn't it be cool to play on my server on a console!", forget about it. I just don't think it would be as good as having it on computer.
The PS2 and XBox both have the ability to play games over a network/internet connection. I'm not sure about the Gamecube.

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there could also be 4 player split screen.

The bigest hurdle would be redoing the graphic system to run native on the console. None of the existing openGL code would be able to run on a native console.

There is also the fact that it costs several thousand dollars to get a dev license from the console manufactures before you can even legaly produce a console game. You have to liscense your game thru the company, since they provide you with the security keys to make your game run on an unmodified console. This is why normal consoles just can't run a game put on a regular CD/DVD there is a signed key that only allows official disks to run. This is most likely outside the scope of what the development comunity can do now. The only other thing would be to make a version that only runs on "moded" consoles, or consoles that have had their security codes removed or disabled. This is generaly frowned upon by the console companys, and would require all users to modify their systems just to play the game.
ImageJeffM
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

yeah i thought about that....
The software's liscenses and all.
*dreaming*
If there realy was BZ for the consoles, i'd be satisfied with just AI players. I know itd take yrs of programming.
The DS would be realy cool.
(one for radar, one for gameplay)
Perfect screen setup.
Guess its all dreams....
nurdc0re
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by nurdc0re »

Maybe I am just asking stupid questions, but why can't you just get an Xbox (or whatever console you like), install Linux, and just try running BZFlag? Depending on hardware support it may not be the greatest performace, but shouldn't it work?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yeah it woudl work but you'd have to 1) mod your x-box and 2) live with poor hardware support since they don't have it fiully hardware accellerated.

You can do the same on a PS2 with the linux kit, but it's not something that we can distribute as "build" that anyone could slap into a console and play. I think that's the point of this post, making a native port of the thing to a console that would work for anyone.
ImageJeffM