Wings

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

there is the "Lag" flag wich tampers with the 4th dimension in a way. if we were to tamper with the 4th dimension extremely bzflag would become a turn game (BZFlag as a turn game *Pfuagh!*)
Phyvo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Phyvo »

Meh, I actually don't really like the flag for gameplay. It's fun to fly around and all, and the flag doesn't seem too overpowered, but it just doesn't fit how I like to play. Whenever I get the flag, I end up seeing which funny places I can go with it rather then actually playing the game.

Consequencially, I still like high speed better. btw, what's the difference between high speed and agility? It seems agility is just high speed but with even speeds forwards and backwards...

[edit] Fixed spelling [/edit]
Last edited by Phyvo on Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

That's what we need

Post by Gerbil »

A flag that makes your reverse speed equal too your forward speed--like Oddball's Shermans in "kelly's Heroes".

"We like to leave a battle as fast as we come into them baby."
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Kelly's Heroes

Post by CapN »

Hey Gerbil,

A great reference.....my "old" friend. Unfortunately, I will guess 92.6% of the young lads here have not seen this movie or have probably heard of it. :?

It was good to see you out there playing the other day....I had not come across your tracks in a long time. These days, the only reminder I have of our old battles is when I try to get my hand into my daughter's Guinea Pig cage to feed it, without that blasted RODENT nipping at my fingers, and yes....I usually win those too. 8)
EbErT
Private First Class
Private First Class

wings

Post by EbErT »

i for one am impartial to the wings flag. It IS fun to fly around with it for a while and slowly pick off the people on the ground, but trying to get away from another person who has the wings flag while you are stuck trying to jump at them is really lame. I think it is correct that this flag will not go away, but to keep down on the annoyingness of the flag, i think many servers should put quite a bit fewer of the flags on there maps.
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wings

Post by CapN »

I agree with phyvo. I use it mostly as a break...for fun just to cruise around and check out the map. It seems weird to me to use it to fight with...unless going against another "winged" tank, or camper of course.
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Agility

Post by bryjen »

Agility gives you a boost of extra speed when taking off from a stop. You go back to normal speed after driving for a second or two. Useful for dodging, making your shots go fast (shoot right as you take off), and jumping farther (jump right as you take off).
learner
General
General

agility vs high speed

Post by learner »

Phyvo wrote:Consequencially, I still like high speed better. btw, what's the difference between high speed and agility? It seems agility is just high speed but with even speeds forwards and backwards...
High speed is just a velocity increase so that the tank drives 1.5 times faster. Agility gives you an even higher boost of speed, making you go 2.25 times faster, but it only lasts for a second before you have to stop and "catch your breath". That makes Agility on of the strongest flags on the map for someone adept in close combat dodging (not so good for the silly people that jump to avoid shots when they shouldn't).

There actually was a Lag flag for a while. It didn't work, though, by the time we were ready for release so it was pulled. The flag was supposed to delay a player's receipt of updates, effectively making them more laggy than they really were.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Heh. No need for a lag flag on most servers. Feature already implemented. :)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: agility vs high speed

Post by The Red Baron »

learner wrote:
Phyvo wrote:Consequencially, I still like high speed better. btw, what's the difference between high speed and agility? It seems agility is just high speed but with even speeds forwards and backwards...
High speed is just a velocity increase so that the tank drives 1.5 times faster. Agility gives you an even higher boost of speed, making you go 2.25 times faster, but it only lasts for a second before you have to stop and "catch your breath". That makes Agility on of the strongest flags on the map for someone adept in close combat dodging (not so good for the silly people that jump to avoid shots when they shouldn't).
so effectively a turbo?

SWEET. I've always wanted that.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
trepan
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by trepan »

for anyone who wants an easy way to limit wings:

Code: Select all

-set _wingsJumpVelocity "0.5 * _jumpVelocity"
-set _wingsGravity "0.5 * _gravity"
This should set it up so that a wings jump's maximum
height is half that of a normal jump, while still keeping
the same amount of time in the air. You can change the
0.5 factor, but keep it the same for both settings if you
want the same amount of air time (between 0.5 and 0.75
is probably a good value.)

This should make the flyers think twice before dropping
down for a kill.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Which gets us nudged towards a new topic--irritating servers

Post by Gerbil »

Those that are constantly changing these values.

One time gm works--the other it doesn't. One hour wings goes so far, the next it doesn't. One time no shot limits, the next time all shot limits.

It actually is very irritating when this occurs over and over on the same server.

I log on in the morning to play and two hours later come back and every darn physics quality has been changed. Two hours later, changed again.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Well, complain to the server about that!

I think you're takling about secretplace... soemtimes their variables change unnoticed.
Phyvo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Phyvo »

One thing of note: You can move faster then normal with agility if you move, then stop for a split second when the turbo wears off, then move again.

Because the turbo instantly fills up again every time you stop, if you had perfect reflexes, you could possibly go faster then high speed. As it is, you go much faster then normal as long as you're not incompetent.

I seriously wish that hepcat would allow their non-flag server to have more people. It used to, and having so many people on it that you almost got actual "fronts" was fun. Now though, they don't even give it the chance...

Whatever happened to the server with the circle of pyramids that progressively got smaller as they got to the center of the circle? It was the only server I ever was really the best player on most of the time...

Oh, yeah. This topic's supposed to be about Wings. Um.... Flap-flap?
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Not just secretplace

Post by Gerbil »

Was pretty much most of the servers I played on past few days--hopefully, the exuberance will wear off in a while and they will settle down.

For now it's still IRRITATING.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

Phyvo wrote:One thing of note: You can move faster then normal with agility if you move, then stop for a split second when the turbo wears off, then move again.

Because the turbo instantly fills up again every time you stop, if you had perfect reflexes, you could possibly go faster then high speed. As it is, you go much faster then normal as long as you're not incompetent.

I seriously wish that hepcat would allow their non-flag server to have more people. It used to, and having so many people on it that you almost got actual "fronts" was fun. Now though, they don't even give it the chance...

Whatever happened to the server with the circle of pyramids that progressively got smaller as they got to the center of the circle? It was the only server I ever was really the best player on most of the time...

Oh, yeah. This topic's supposed to be about Wings. Um.... Flap-flap?
haha vfunny about wings, that server was um.. DANG IT I FORGOT! but it was an awsome server! i too was able to be the best there and the admins and people were very nice.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Phyvo wrote: Whatever happened to the server with the circle of pyramids that progressively got smaller as they got to the center of the circle? It was the only server I ever was really the best player on most of the time...
Pardon the OT... That was FortheFreak, quite an interesting map/server.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

Wings is good fun if you have it, but it is pretty hard to beat on many servers right now. Definitely one of the most powerful flags.

I think a lot of the problems with it are just teething ones - server owners putting out lots of WG flags because it's the latest cool thing. Or using it on an inappropriate map, or with a high jump count. And too many people who haven't got the hang of how to kill people with wings (including if you have wings yourself). That will pass in time.

I don't think anyone should be putting out maps with less than 3 wings flags, so that opponents have a chance to fight on equal terms, or some GM flags, so people can shoot up.

Oh and burrow can be good on maps where you have to deal with problematic SB or L.