How do you use other maps besides random?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
tybreaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

How do you use other maps besides random?

Post by tybreaker »

When inside BZFlag, if you wish to start a server, how can you change it from a random map to a different one?

I have a saved a few worlds from games I have joined but they don't appear anywhere in the game such that I can't choose them from the server creation page. I've read how to do it using the command line server but wondered if it is possible from the game menus and if not, why not?

TyBreaker
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

in your conf specify a world using

Code: Select all

-world "<filename>"
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
tybreaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

but but but...

Post by tybreaker »

nader wrote:in your conf specify a world using

Code: Select all

-world "<filename>"
Yes, but again this is a technique that means you have to exit the game, edit the conf file and start the game again.

Surely there is a way to interactively select from the worlds saved on the computer? If not, it would be a relatively simple enhancement surely compared to the technical challenge involved in coding the rest of this awesome game.

Eg, the game automatically saves worlds into a particular directory so the server config screen should allow you to scroll (using left/right arrows perhaps) through the maps in this same directory when selecting a world to use for your server.

TyBreaker
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

Two things to check.

First, when you save maps from within the game, don't specify a path - just let BZFlag put them in the default location (on windows it is \My Documents\My BZFlag Files\worlds).

Second, the maps need to have .bzw as the extension. If you launch the server manually before starting BZFlag you can use whatever extension you want (as nader suggested above). But starting the server from within the game requires you to use the default extension.

IF you weren't already aware, you start the server from within the BZFlag client by going to the Join Game -> Start Server menu, where you can select a bunch of options, including the world file.
tybreaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tybreaker »

wiz wrote:Two things to check.
IF you weren't already aware, you start the server from within the BZFlag client by going to the Join Game -> Start Server menu, where you can select a bunch of options, including the world file.
Thank you, it appears I may have been misled in some way. Eg I now have two bzw files instead of just the one I was trying to get working before but this time the second map is appearing on the Start Server screen - the first map is still absent. Are some maps incompatible with BZFlag 2.0.2 by any chance and are automtically excluded from showing up in this list? Both have the bzw extension.
tybreaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

I think I found a bug

Post by tybreaker »

tybreaker wrote:
wiz wrote:Two things to check.
Thank you, it appears I may have been misled in some way. Eg I now have two bzw files instead of just the one I was trying to get working before but this time the second map is appearing on the Start Server screen - the first map is still absent. Are some maps incompatible with BZFlag 2.0.2 by any chance and are automtically excluded from showing up in this list? Both have the bzw extension.
OK, looks like it is a simple case that the very first map is always being ignored. Probably a programming error eg starting with an index of 1 instead of 0 when iterating through the map array hehe.
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

Yes, but again this is a technique that means you have to exit the game, edit the conf file and start the game again.

Surely there is a way to interactively select from the worlds saved on the computer? If not, it would be a relatively simple enhancement surely compared to the technical challenge involved in coding the rest of this awesome game.

Eg, the game automatically saves worlds into a particular directory so the server config screen should allow you to scroll (using left/right arrows perhaps) through the maps in this same directory when selecting a world to use for your server.
yes, you have to restart... VERY RARELY, if not all, servers are run by manually passing the conf file with all the command line options to bzfs.exe, and you have to restart for every option you change there...
Umm... I hope you understand what I am saying... ask if you are confused or if something is not clear
Are some maps incompatible with BZFlag 2.0.2 by any chance and are automtically excluded from showing up in this list? Both have the bzw extension.
No... there is no such thing as a compatibility issue with maps. :)
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

Also, check the bzflag wiki for information on creating AND running bzflag servers... the link is http://www.bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer
Formerly "nader"
---
-----
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: I think I found a bug

Post by wiz »

tybreaker wrote:
tybreaker wrote:
wiz wrote:...from within the BZFlag client by going to the Join Game -> Start Server menu, where you can select a bunch of options, including the world file.
OK, looks like it is a simple case that the very first map is always being ignored. Probably a programming error eg starting with an index of 1 instead of 0 when iterating through the map array hehe.
I experience the same thing, but never noticed it before since I have more than one map in my worlds directory. But the first map is consistently being ignored by the server start menu.

What OS are you using? I am on WinXP. It would be nice to know if other OSs have the same issue or if it is just a windows problem.
tybreaker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: I think I found a bug

Post by tybreaker »

wiz wrote:
tybreaker wrote:
tybreaker wrote: OK, looks like it is a simple case that the very first map is always being ignored. Probably a programming error eg starting with an index of 1 instead of 0 when iterating through the map array hehe.
I experience the same thing, but never noticed it before since I have more than one map in my worlds directory. But the first map is consistently being ignored by the server start menu.

What OS are you using? I am on WinXP. It would be nice to know if other OSs have the same issue or if it is just a windows problem.
Yes I am on XP too.