How to stop raceist ranting

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Tanksolot
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to stop raceist ranting

Post by Tanksolot »

some real nasty racist massages went on the other day on some
site. Is there any way to prevent multiple message to repete.
Once = they got their message across
10 times is bad for young kids who see this.
Is there any way to stop multipol postings?

Tanksolot
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Generally, if you're a regular player, you can only use the silence feature (press "k") which only prevents you from receiving the messages. Everyone else on the server will still get the messages.

Admins, and on some servers cops, can use the mute command to silence trolls. The mute command is a server command that keeps the server from accepting the troll's messages. Instead, each time the troll sends something, the server tells the troll s'he is not allowed to send messages.

Mostly, muted trolls leave in a few minutes. :)

Of course, there are kick, ban, and poll options available on servers at different permission levels, too.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How to stop raceist ranting

Post by cosmos »

Tanksolot wrote:some real nasty racist massages went on the other day on some
site. Is there any way to prevent multiple message to repete.
Once = they got their message across
10 times is bad for young kids who see this.
Is there any way to stop multipol postings?

Tanksolot
The solution I came up with on the hepcat servers was to remove the TALK ability of non globally registered players. Now they cannot spam or say anything public or private. Problem solved.

If a registered player does it well then it is quite easy to get them banned and overall 99% of the issues are from the non registered ones.

I reenabled TALK for everyone because i was feeling giving on an Easter weekend but within hours racists and other types were spamming pro my own mother and anti jewish remarks again.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

There is a spam control system in BZFS. Tell a server admin or operator to consider enabling it using BZFS options -spamtime and -spamwarn. This will kick spammers that send similar messages too many times in too short of time period and it applies to everyone.
SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

I like your solution cosmos! Have you posted somewhere the explanation of how to enable that setting?
cosmos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by cosmos »

SportChick wrote:I like your solution cosmos! Have you posted somewhere the explanation of how to enable that setting?
Yeah its simple and i think we have discussed it alot recently on #bzflag between JeffM and myself at least.

give the TALK ability to all groups you want to and then for the EVERYONE group make it -TALK

thats it!