voice actors wanted

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Gah! If you people would have made this topic a few days later I'd already have all them down :). Everyone at school calls me the deep voice kid because none of them are mature yet.... geez high school and some of them still sound like 1st graders... anyways I'll have a few by tommorow! (its like midnight here)
Dumbledore
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dumbledore »

You wouldn't mind having a British accent in some of those, would you?

:lol-old:

No, would I? It's okay if you don't, sometimes American accents are better for this sort of thing.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Here's a few samples of the voice of RPG:
Attachments
sample.zip
(258.74 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Post by Guest »

Nice one RPG!
Do the rest... :D
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

I just saw this

Post by optic delusion »

You want movie trailer announcer voice? I got the one you need.
I just now saw this post....Give me a day...maybe two
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.

Post by Guest »

If I can get hold of something (free and for Mac) to edit my voice, I can give this a crack towards the end of this week going on into the start of next.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Audacity is the tool.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Dumbledore
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dumbledore »

Yeah, I used GarageBand, then Exported into Audacity. Works like a charm.

Post by Guest »

Really? :shock:
Can you guys PM me to explain how?
I tried using Audacuty and it seemed to break when I tried to delelte something I recorded...
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

plzzzzz, dont put the sounds on the more populated servers, it will cause lag. for us on dial up, me especially, my lag is 260 average, the sounds only cause more lag.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Dumbledore
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dumbledore »

You could disable them in your client Options.

Not only can the server be able to be configured for sounds, but you can disable it also.

Just think of it the same way for _mirror. The server configures that as an option, but you can disable it in Effects settings on your client. Same goes for sounds.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Phalanx
I guess noone can read.

THESE ARE NOT REAL-TIME SOUNDS. they won't suck up bandwith every time they are played.THERE WILL BE NO MORE LAG.
THIS IS NOT REAL TIME VOICE CHAT.

They are downloaded ONCE, and only once, and only if you don't have the feature disabled. Once you have the sound, the message to play it is smaller then a player update, so it uses allmost 0 bandwith. It's even smaller then a chat message.
ImageJeffM
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Is there anything good (and free) for windows. I could give it a shot, now if i could just find that microphone.....................
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

M1A2AbramsTank wrote:Is there anything good (and free) for windows. I could give it a shot, now if i could just find that microphone.....................
http://audacity.sourceforge.net

Just so nobody gets antsy, I'm recording ALL of the sounds now. Update in about a half hour.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Here's an entire pack of all the sounds.

Your max file upload size of 512 KB doesn't give my zip file too much justice :).
Attachments
BZsounds1.zip
Last half of sounds
(496.24 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
BZsounds2.zip
First half of sounds
(275.9 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Your missing the "Green has our flag" recording. :roll:
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Whoops :oops:
Attachments
greenhasourflag.zip
Green has our flag! :!:
(19.98 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Dumbledore
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dumbledore »

How about a woman's computer-like voice? I could tweak my voice or have my girlfriend do it...
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Dumbledore wrote:How about a woman's computer-like voice? I could tweak my voice or have my girlfriend do it...
Get ur girlfriend to do it, it'd sound more natural.

Post by Guest »

RPG wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:How about a woman's computer-like voice? I could tweak my voice or have my girlfriend do it...
Get ur girlfriend to do it, it'd sound more natural.
Not in every case, I cna think of a few guys who sound more like girls that their girls... 8)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

I know I've got a great microphone around here somewhere, finding it is another matter. UN-Fortunately, my good old all-in-one iMac comes equipped with a pinhole mic. I've got a few different voices i could use, but this little mic just cant do justice to any deep voice, it makes it sound tinny. I'm not giving up just yet tho. Like arnold said, "I'l Be Back."
I also do a SPOT-ON Dave Mustaigne

It seems to me that the CTF messages require a female voice. A few years ago I was playing around with trying to get the computer voice off of star trek. it was ok, but there's always a background noise like ships engines that I couldn't remove. I counted exactly eleven words total in CTF messages. If someone really wanted to, I'm sure they could cut up the snippets to make those eleven little words. Majel Barret's voice is not gnu-licenced, but I don't think they'd come after anybody for that tiny use, in a free game. Might make us stop using it, but not sue.

Actions should (I think) be made to sound like radio chatter. RPG has a good voice for that.

What kind of key combinations are required to activate these messages? Will CTF messages be automatic? Who gets to use them? I've already seen the say command hammered ruthlessly.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

As cool as it sounds, the problem with this feature is that I do not want to hear an amateur’s narrating voice when I'm playing bzflag. I'd want it to sound polished and enhanced (and for some reason my mind keeps wandering back to the announcer from Super Smash Brothers). If I choose to have the sound disabled, will there be a textual message that I could read instead?
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes, every sound is sent with a text message ( server configurable ).

the only voices that can be used are ones approved and set up by the server.
ImageJeffM
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I want this too, for a different purpose. Could it be possible to have World Sounds, much like World Weapons?

If you have ever seen Cedric_'s NASCAR map, you probably know about being sucked into the plane engines or being zapped by the electrical wires. Can you make the client so that, for example, when you are turned into cheese by the jet engines it sounds like a vaccum. When you hit the electrical lines it goes
ZZZAAAPPP!!!!!!!!!

I also want World Music!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

a server side plugin can fire off sounds from the "server" when ever it wants.

right now the server dosn't know when players hit stuff, or when they enter or exit zones. Once this is done then yes you could make a plugin that added world sounds.
ImageJeffM