Really only about 100 players on?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
temporal distraction
Sergeant
Sergeant

Really only about 100 players on?

Post by temporal distraction »

Looking at the server list at http://my.bzflag.org/serverlist.php I see about a dozen popular servers populated with about 100 players. From what I've seen, this seems to be about average, with more at certain times.

But are there really only about 100 players on ALL the public servers in the world? That seems so low to me. I understand that there are probably as many private servers out there that don't show up in the list.

Just wondering and TIA
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yeah it ranges between 100 and 200 average

bzflag is not a huge game.
ImageJeffM
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

I got this hankering feeling that there are hundreds more playing on servers not on the list. I want to be invited to a mega game one day on a huge server not listed. That would be cool.
...This has been a recording.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Ancient Developer's Secret

Post by optic delusion »

If each of those 100 players went and got 100 more players...and then each of those 10,000.....

It's restricted by the fact that it's only available from SourceForge. (SF)
SF is pretty big, but not ultra-mega-huge, like my
And most people are turned off by the fact it looks hard to run, when you are at SourceForge, preparing to download.

I think they want to keep it that way. It's a bit of a developer's secret. Which is a shame because it is the best free game available, anywhere.

On the other hand, could you imagine Jeff's workload if those 10,000 each got 100 more. They had a party, at SF, when BZFlag was the first project to reach one million downloads. But thats for all the versions, all the CVS's, total. (am i correct?)

Jeff, This may be a good place to re-state policy regarding posting links to the SourcForge BZFlag download. And exactly what this site's relation to SF is. - or at least post a link to where that is.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

actualy, when we get /. hits there are spikes, most of those people find th gameplay too simple and the graphics too crude to hold there intrest for long.

There is a decent turn over in players. the game is very static and dosn't evolve much ( compared to other games that have mods ).

The list server keeps track of all the players that query it, so we may be able to see like average hits per day or something if we could get a report out of it.

For a game that had 1000 or more people playing at a time, I'd not use a message board as it's user database :)
ImageJeffM
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Yes, i have introduced about 10 ppl to bzflag, and none of them have played for longer than a month :roll: They have all said that the graphics are awful and it is stupid, they say.They would all rather play Halo2 or other games with good graphics
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Those graphics-whores... they don't deserve a gameplay-wonder like BZFlag so let them play their stupid Halo2. :D
So an So
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by So an So »

WOW!! So... I am part of an ELITE group of only 100 people!?! COOL!!! :D
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there are a couple 1000 people that play, just only at about 1-200 at any one time.
ImageJeffM

Post by Guest »

I second what Saturos said completely.
If they don't think the game is worth their time, then we don't want them in the community. One reason the game is so amazing is the community which, in comparison, is very close and everyone gets along and knows other people. :twisted:
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

CannonBallGuy wrote:I second what Saturos said completely.
If they don't think the game is worth their time, then we don't want them in the community. One reason the game is so amazing is the community which, in comparison, is very close and everyone gets along and knows other people. :twisted:
Yes, we get along fine...

We kill each other all the time. :lol-old:
Save up to 50% on tank insurance!
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

CannonBallGuy wrote:everyone gets along
Haha, for the most part... as long as you dont talk about politics and religion. Remember that Jesus topic in the "chat" section... yea...

Another thing besides the whole graphics issue is that the main servers have too many good players. I remember when I first started... I would get owned in Secretplace. I was annoying that some of these guys had god like powers. I gave up BZ for a couple of weeks till I played on Planet Mofo... I was hooked ever since.
/loves meteorite's mom
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

BZ whoops halo :)

Three cheers for BZ! HUZZAH!x3 :)
Pimpinella
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Pimpinella »

The Holey Tank wrote:
Another thing besides the whole graphics issue is that the main servers have too many good players.
I once tried to run a noob server. It was a magnet for cheaters and munchkins looking for easy kills, so that noobs playing there were discouraged soon. Any idea how we can help this?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Pimpinella

that would be a topic for a new thread.
ImageJeffM
H0ley
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by H0ley »

Pimpinella wrote:munchkins looking for easy kills
That "munchkin" word is becoming quite popular in BZworld. At least I've been hearing it a lot lately.

I'm glad to report that I can now own on secretplace. 8)
/loves meteorite's mom
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

Saturos wrote:Those graphics-whores... they don't deserve a gameplay-wonder like BZFlag so let them play their stupid Halo2. :D
exactly what i was thinking. :)
CannonBallGuy wrote:One reason the game is so amazing is the community which, in comparison, is very close and everyone gets along and knows other people.
yes again, i agree. our community is one not seen in many if any other games. i like it. very.... very.... um.... welcoming? yeah that's it. :D
I am a leaf on the wind.