Spyware?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Spyware?

Post by Tanner »

Recently my laptop has been getting some spyware. My dad accuses Bzflag for it. Does Bzflag attract or allow spyware to pop through a multiplayer connection? How secure is it?

-Tanner
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I highly, highly, doubt that.

Some parent just seem scared of video games and will try to accuse them for anything that goes wrong. :roll:
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

No, Bzflag is not the cause. Using the internet is the cause.

let me reccomend this website for the removal of spyware.

http://www.lavasoft.com/
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Bzflag contains no spyware.

The "multiplayer" connection is a normal internet connection. Just like AIM, MSN, or any other network program uses. BZFlag never downloads any executable programs to your computer. EVER. At most it will download images used in maps.

You are geting spyware from your web browser and the websites you and your famaly visit.

There are many great tools for taking care of spyware as well as browsers that to a better job of not letting it in ( mozilla firefox for example ).
ImageJeffM
torture2m
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by torture2m »

I believe my Norton Internet Security (N.I.S.) did once give me a warning about spyware from bzflag, which I allowed, assuming it was how statistical data was collected for the game. I do not confirm that it was indeed spyware. I can't recall the exact message from N.I.S.

But I can say that I had received a slew of emails, in German, once I started playing bzflag. It seems to have tapered off.

t2m
Perception is everything!
Mucho Maas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mucho Maas »

torture2m wrote:I believe my Norton Internet Security (N.I.S.) did once give me a warning about spyware from bzflag, which I allowed.
It probably just gave a warning for accessing the internet. Some firewalls provide a service to allow per application base access to the internet.
so for each new application that accesses the internet, it pops up a messagebox asking you if you trust that application.
This comes very handy when you do have spyware on your computer that tries to connect to the internet without your knowledge.

The message box that your firewall pops up probably stated something like "make sure it aint a spyware that's trying to connect".
torture2m wrote:But I can say that I had received a slew of emails, in German, once I started playing bzflag. It seems to have tapered off.
t2m
Can't be because of bzflag. More likely is maybe that someone got your email string out of the gu.bzleague.de site (this should not be happening, but maybe it was intruded) or any other site where you have left your email.

The only thing bzflag can take from you is your time, and a lot of it:)
torture2m
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by torture2m »

torture2m wrote:
But I can say that I had received a slew of emails, in German, once I started playing bzflag. It seems to have tapered off.
t2m

Foo wrote:

Can't be because of bzflag. More likely is maybe that someone got your email string out of the gu.bzleague.de site (this should not be happening, but maybe it was intruded) or any other site where you have left your email.
...I don't know if you (Foo) also mean't my personal home email address which I never listed anyway in bz (that I'm aware), but it was not the gu email, it was my personal email.

t2m
Perception is everything!
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Spyware?

Post by BinarySpike »

Tanner wrote:Recently my laptop has been getting some spyware. My dad accuses Bzflag for it. Does Bzflag attract or allow spyware to pop through a multiplayer connection? How secure is it?

-Tanner

I do know a few 10+ year programmers like Jeffm and Zekaric that would be willing to reasure your dad about spyware.

I've looked into the bzflag code myself and don't see the main openings for spyware/viruses. (array overstepping, debugging backdoors, etc. etc.)

BZFlag is secure.
I would suggest not connecting to any strange server.
(start's with an IP... or if you want to be really paranoid just play on Viper, Silvercat, GU, Meteorite)
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Yes, I agree with BinarySpike. There is the remote possibility that if you join a server, it could possibly be used to do something bad. But I don't think this would happen because:

One: The whole BZFlag community would be sharing it
Two: It's such a remote possibility that it's near impossible

But like Binary said, if you're really paranoid stick with servers that have been around a long time. (shameless little plug...)

If you're worried about Spyware and the such I recommend that you get Firefox (or even Opera) and use:

One: A firewall - try using Zonealarm or Norton, Win XP's built-in firewall ins not top notch
Two: Anti-Virus, AVG is very good and is free
Three: Anti-Spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy and AdAware is good
Four: I recommend against using online virus and spyware scans. Since you are using IE and ActiveX it is possible they may be doing the oppisite what they are saying they are - planting spyware on your system (unless you stick with a trusted one)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com