G1 CVS Release build with installer and stuff

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

G1 CVS Release build with installer and stuff

Post by JeffM »

I just put together a release build of latest CVS of bzflag for windows. and make an installer, for somone who asked. Figured it would be a good thing to post for people who are not build enabled on windows and who wanted to try the latest stuff.

so here it is.
http://www.bakadigital.com/BZ/G1/BZFlag_1.7g1.523.exe
ImageJeffM
CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by CobraA1 »

I'm waiting for somebody to announce when we start breaking the networking so we can add all sorts of stuff to BZFlag.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

arn't we all man, arn't we all.
ImageJeffM
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well....... I don't seem to be blowing myself up with GM in this version of g1... may I ask what was changed??
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you reported the bug ,somone probably fixed it :)
ImageJeffM
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Geee..... people actually LISTEN to me?!?! Hmmmm... 8)
M
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M »

I tried out the new binary that you posted, it will run in windowed mode regardless if I start it in windowed or regular mode. More to the point when I start it in regular mode the screen flashes black and then goes into a smaller windows without the window borders. However it only takes up part of the screen and the rest just shows the desktop and such. The older versiosns have never given me such a problem. Should I just report this as a bug or do you guys have an idea what's going on?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

sounds like your video driver won't take the res change. what card do you have, and what version of direct X ( it's used for windows res changes ).
ImageJeffM
M
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M »

The video card is a radeon 7500 mobility and I just upgraded the drivers for it yesterday.
Directx version 8.1
Windows XP
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

dono then, you could try geting DX 9.1 and see if that helps. I do hate ATI due to crapy driver issues like this.

I think I have DX9.1 on the machine that I built on, it shouldn't mater since it's a DX3 call but maybe MS changed something.
ImageJeffM
CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by CobraA1 »

BZFlag uses OpenGL, not DirectX. Try updating OpenGL also.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

BZflag on windows uses Direct X to change resolutions of the display and that is what he is having a problem with ( I shoudl know I wrote it ).

OpenGL provides no direct access to the display. There is no update to OpenGL ( bz works fine with 1.1 that windows ships with ). it's actualy a pain in the ass to get 1.2 or higher.
ImageJeffM
M
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M »

I upgraded the directx and that seems to have solved the problem.
Thanks

Post by Guest »

M wrote:... More to the point when I start it in regular mode the screen flashes black and then goes into a smaller windows without the window borders. However it only takes up part of the screen and the rest just shows the desktop and such. The older versiosns have never given me such a problem.
this is what happens with mee too but in my case i prefer to have BZ in the lil window than the full screen . i do this because i dont like those windows borders that come with the windowed BZ alternative provided by BZ1.7g0 . with my stinky video card and driver(ATI) i open two BZ windows at the same time and it opens each one into a different size screen , so then i just quit the full screen and use the lil window one :P
i dunno why i still keep this old video card ...maybee im jus too sentimental to part with it :P
but because of this default flukey that my video card does , it has a home for now inside my humble laptop .

*hugs mee puter*

:)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we didn't change anything for g1 with this. I need to look into why it happens, it should work the same as G0.

the best way to run in a window is with the "in a window" shortcut, because then you can set the size, and it will allways run in a window.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Interesting both of you have ATI cards. I have not been able to get this to dupe with nvidia cards. It may be because ATI's current drivers are built against direct X 9 and require it. Is there anyone elese out there with an ATI card on windows who can help me test this?
ImageJeffM
jbum
Private
Private

G1 issues.

Post by jbum »

Some minor quibbles with G1. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post them.

I'm 40. The text in the chat-window is now smaller at the "default" size, and illegible, to my eyes. When I switch it to "bigger" (which looks like the old text), it is now legible, however the player-listing and flag-help on the main window is now ginormous. It would be nice to be able to control the sizes of those things individually (or use better sizes).

The ability to increase the size of the radar and chat area is great. I like having an extra large #2 radar. However, the position of flag-help (which I generally keep on) is not being adjusted and now appears in the middle of the chat window, overlapping the other text.

Keep up the good work!

- his blind ambition
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

jbum, which resolution do you run bzflag at? And which operating system are ou using?