71%

Total votes: 7

dS
Private First Class
Private First Class

This Forum

Post by dS »

I'm walking on thin ice here, but a question begs to be asked:

Is there any reason we can't let these posts run to conclusion without having them locked? As long as we don't swear or violate someone's human rights (remember that, it's important to make the distinction between human rights and freedom of speech).

I''m only asking this because because it seems that there is a question of parity that could, no, scratch that, did arise about parity. OK, maybe i'm raising the question. I've had a post locked down before and I have to wonder if maybe locking them down isn't the best for all of us.

I guess it's really up to us.

dS
aka MadSanta
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we only realy lock them when they start to get deflamitory. If it becomes just a topic of people basicly going "nunhuh, you suck" even in nicer words, we lock em. Or if they stray realy off topic ( tho then it's mostly a move to the proper topic ).

Honestly I think we have locked a grand total of 6-8 threads since the inseption of this thing. Basily if it's something that can be done in a PM to one specific person, then we lock it. cus at that point, the only reason for the thread is to agrivate someone, and there is no need to get the rest of the people in there, then it just snowballs.

In your case, your post said it all, and it looked to be a topic that people had strong opionions on, so rather then have someone post somethign they would reget it was locked. ( tho I don't remember doing it ).

It does take a fair amount for me to lock a thread. usualy they just peeter out and fade away. and like all things, if you ever thing a thread was locked for a bad reason please let us know, most of the admins are only human :)
ImageJeffM
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

patlabor221, you're a wanker
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

nuh uhhhhh You suck.
ImageJeffM
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You mean.... lock the whole "General Discussion" forum??? I dunno. The board belongs to you admins.... do what ya think is best. :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we can only lock single topics ( like this list of posts )
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

The only thread I regret was locked was dervish's in the test forum...
Patlabor said "Crashing browsers is not fun" but not only do I disagree (hey, I am a beta tester after all), but until he disabled HTML you could still look at the post and scroll around...and after he did, it didn't matter...I didn't/don't see the point of locking it. But hey, whatever...he's running it and doing a great job, so don't let me complain...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ohh I locked that one cus I was trying to see if I could just find a way to not have it do iframes, so I woudln't have to disable HTML, and that was just to that noone would reply while I was testing.
ImageJeffM
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

ds, I agree with you. This is patlabor and fiber's board, so they have a right to do whatever they want. However, it would be nice to actually post my opinion on a thread I started without having it locked before I get there.

*grumble* *grumble* *grumble*

I was reading the hunting thread, and everything looked ok (just people stating opinions, no derogatory remarks), and then the post about locking it. :( Was this preventative or admin ESP? hehehe May be you guys deleted a really insulting post that we didn't see (hence the locking)?

Oh well, I guess I can always start another thread on the same topic. :)
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}