The 12 Games of BzFlag

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
his blind ambition
Private First Class
Private First Class

The 12 Games of BzFlag

Post by his blind ambition »

The 12 Games of BzFlag

I've often noticed, when disagreements occur on the battlefield, that the participants are each playing a different game.

Which game are you playing?

1. BzFlag is a game that involves tanks of different teams. The object is to kill as many of the enemy tanks as you can, while avoiding being killed yourself, and occasionally helping your teammates, unless you're a rogue.

2. BzFlag is a game which uses maps. The object is to build the most playable world you can, and then play in it, hoping someone will come and appreciate your hard work.

3. BzFlag is a game involving tanks, buildings and pyramids, simulating a conflict in the middle east. The object is to relive those glory days in the (army, marines, national guard, rotc, rice paddies) by firing upon the enemy while drinking Jack Daniels.

4. BzFlag is a game with server operators, admins and other people. The object is for the operators and admins to protect the other people from the forces of evil.

5. BzFlag is a game which involves lusers and non-lusers. The object is to piss off as many lusers as you can, preferably getting them so mad that they ban you. Then you can switch IP addresses and piss them off some more.

6. BzFlag is a game written in C. The object is to modify the code with as many clever patches as you can, thus demonstrating your superior coding skills.

7. BzFlag is a game which involves potential mates. The object is to find an attractive mate, impress him/her with your skillz, and then have stimulating and/or erotic private chat.

8. BzFlag is a game written by unimaginative programmers. The object is modify the code to give yourself godlike powers, and then use them.

9. BzFlag is a game written in C. The object is modify the code to give yourself a subtle edge, without getting caught.

10. BzFlag is a program someone else wrote who is lame. The object is to get a copy of a 'cheat' version that someone else wrote (who is not so lame) and then use that version.

11. BzFlag is a game written to host bots. The object is modify the code to make a stupid but entertaining bot, and then watch the bot do its thing.

12. BzFlag is a game frequented by fellow geeks. The object is to shoot a few tanks while engaging in amusing geek-centric banter.

-- His Blind Ambition
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

Well, anybody who is doing 5 or 9 is incorrect, because BZFlag is a game written in C++
his blind ambition
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by his blind ambition »

As a lazy programmer, I generally use 'C' to mean 'C/C++'.

Clearly we're playing #12.

Geek.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You mean 6 and 9 proton. ;) I would agree that 5 is stupid too tho.......... I hate it when people do that. Grrrrrr.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The 12 Games of BzFlag

Post by Dervish »

HOHOHHAHAHAHhahaha. :)
his blind ambition wrote:Which game are you playing?
I play games 1, 2, 4, and sometimes 12. For 12, I have a geekdom limit; so once that limit is reached, my head explodes. ;)
his blind ambition wrote:3. BzFlag is a game involving tanks, buildings and pyramids, simulating a conflict in the middle east. The object is to relive those glory days in the (army, marines, national guard, rotc, rice paddies) by firing upon the enemy while drinking Jack Daniels.
:spew: hehehe, I can name at least three players who probably got into BZFlag by something along the lines of #3. :)
his blind ambition wrote:4. BzFlag is a game with server operators, admins and other people. The object is for the operators and admins to protect the other people from the forces of evil.
Guilty as charged... so guilty. The evil forces of spam, profanity, and dirty little screen names must be squashed. Their leaders, the teammate killers, pausers, and serious laggers, must be brought to justice!

But, we yearn to ban their kings, the cheaters. O' glory be the day we record and ban every last IP range of spoogebob and cheaters.
his blind ambition wrote:6. BzFlag is a game written in C. The object is to modify the code with as many clever patches as you can, thus demonstrating your superior coding skills.
I wonder why they have so much fun doing this? If you want to impress fellow coders, go hack a compiled on-line game and show off your skills there. Fooling around with open-source code is a no-brainer for programmers.
his blind ambition wrote:7. BzFlag is a game which involves potential mates. The object is to find an attractive mate, impress him/her with your skillz, and then have stimulating and/or erotic private chat.
People still believe this works? :lol: Do they really think "HotChickInATank" is really a sexy woman or girl in real life who is uncontrollably turned on by a guy's skill at fraggin' tanks? For all we know, that girl could be some fat, balding, 40-something guy, sitting at his Packard Bell 586 PC playing BZFlag because it's the only on-line game that will run on it (other than on-line hearts and chess).
his blind ambition wrote:8. BzFlag is a game written by unimaginative programmers. The object is modify the code to give yourself godlike powers, and then use them.
Are these the same people who try to push the devs to create flags like "Super Mega Electro-Shock Tidal Wave" or "Stealth Cloaked Hyper Laser"?
his blind ambition wrote:10. BzFlag is a program someone else wrote who is lame. The object is to get a copy of a 'cheat' version that someone else wrote (who is not so lame) and then use that version.
These people don't last long. They usually don't understand why they can no longer log onto any popular public server (because they've been banned by most). So they spend their days using a cheat client on unpopular servers, pounding poor newbies who happen to wonder it for a few seconds each time.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: The 12 Games of BzFlag

Post by purple_cow »

Dervish DuKot wrote:
his blind ambition wrote:6. BzFlag is a game written in C. The object is to modify the code with as many clever patches as you can, thus demonstrating your superior coding skills.
I wonder why they have so much fun doing this? If you want to impress fellow coders, go hack a compiled on-line game and show off your skills there. Fooling around with open-source code is a no-brainer for programmers.
Hey! Thats not very nice....
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

I have: 1, 2, 4, and nothing else really, number 7 disgusting and the dumbest thing I've ever seen, not really "the dumbest thing I've ever seen" But it's still grody!
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
blastard
Private First Class
Private First Class

BzFlag Pyschoanalysis

Post by blastard »

Dear His Blind Ambition:

I am thrilled by your analytical acumen. I think there is a tenure track opening in psychology here at Kent State University. There must be a line of research here somewhere. Come to Ohio and we can talk about it over a nice chianti (said keyyyy-ant-eeee) and liver patee.

13. People who play and think too much about how other people play. :lol-old: :lol-old: :lol-old:

Best!
Blastard
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

You missed one! (regarding CTF)

Post by KRR »

13. BZFlag is a game where the main, the *ONLY*, point is to get the other teams flag to your base, while keeping your flag from theirs. In this game, individual kills do not count, teamwork does, and the only important thing is - where are the flags at!

(At least, that's how it is for me, thus my generally low "kill score", but relatively high CTF ladder rank... :D )

Great post, and funny. :)
"My other tank is a sailboat..."
megachirops
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by megachirops »

Let's see, I'm mostly 13, with a lot of 12 and a pinch of 3&4....
"When in doubt, quit"
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

I'd have to say I'm a number 12, with a bit of number 1, in FFA. All #13 (KR's version) in CTF. Usually. OK, maybe a bit of #12 sticks around for the CTF match.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Nice job blurring the avatar, ambition. Now it truly does represent "his blind ambition". ;)

hmmm, turning off my sig on posts saves some space.
CobraA1
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by CobraA1 »

1, and did some 6 before I transferred to K-state :D. Hence why we have all these crazy 3D maps :D. Sometimes a bug creeps around reminding me that BZFlag was origionally only played in a 2Dish fashion.
-CobraA1

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau

My avatar symbol © 2002 Jeremiah Moss. All rights reserved.
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

At least no one likes #7!
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Not to mention #5!!!!
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

started off playing #1,
then tried my hand at #4

most of the time now though it is #3, although Jack has no place in my house ;)
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

i'm 100% rogue, so #1 is my game.

but if i have the keys to a server, #4 is applicable. what is evil? for me its cheaters they will get quickly banned
....bad mouth players i would only kick if other players wanted.

sm
oi!