Post by The Red Baron »

Where is that guy?

Shall we raise his battle cry?
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

oma is in space!

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

well almost... the green tank is busy with a space project last time we talked. bzfrank and oma i have seen even less than kono!

http://www.esoc.esa.de/

sm
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

we are still on for beer when you come back to the states right frank???? :)

sm
oi!
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

its sad, i bet 95% of the people here don't even know who oma is
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Your right. I don't :)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The hunt for red Oma Herta? :angel: Hehehe.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Oma Herta.

Here's his fairly non-existant website: http://www.bzflag.de

Legolas, he's one of the old-school BZFlag players when it was a very small community. Pretty much not involved anymore, he was once an ace with GM. However, we have so many good players now, that I bet his skill level matches the best here. New BZFlag players join daily, and the time it takes these newbies to ramp up in skill amazes me.

BZFlag is a much larger community than it's ever been, so the learning curve is much shorter than it was a year or more ago. New players learn from those before them and have access to more players and more community resources than before.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I would also be so bold as to suggest that the reason the newer players are learning faster is because there are quite a few more good players now. To learn, one must have good teachers. :)
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

So true Spiff.

I think BZFlag players who've been involved in the community longer tend to "remember the good ol' days" a little too much. ;)

Good memories are bound to be embellished and a bit exaggerated in our minds. Still, nothing wrong with a few good ol' stories of legends past.

Spiff, promise me something. If I hang around the community for yet another year, and start to "remember the good ol' days", please kick me... or give me some more of whatever I was smoking. ;)

The community grows, things change, and new faces appear. With growth, new sites, new boards, and new aspects of the community emerge. As a whole, it's never for the worse, but it might kill the sense of a small and tight community.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Dervish DuKot wrote: please kick me... or give me some more of whatever I was smoking. ;)
First, what ARE you smoking? ;) LoL

Most times, change is a good thing. Someday I'll probabily be too busy to play BZ Flag. And then, when I come back in a couple of years, people are going to be saying "Hey! I remember him from the 'old days'!".. and about then, I'm going to get scared. ;)

On a minor note..... I hope THIS board NEVER changes.. 'cause it's the best and 'cause Fiber, Patlabor, and proton are excellent moderators. Oh yeah... and also because it's got cool Emoticons and a QUICK REPLY BOX!!!!!!! ;) So for now.... let the party go on, and LONG LIVE BZBB.BAKADIGITAL.COM!
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:First, what ARE you smoking? ;) LoL
Nothing now, but if I ever act the part, you know I'd be smoking something because it's not in my character. ;)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Okay.... so if you suddenly become "the Ghost of BZ Past".... I'll send you to a drug rehab facility. ;)

Now.... back to the topic. :)
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The hunt for red Oma Herta? :angel: Hehehe.
Oma usually drove a green tank. If you find a red one, it's probably someone else ;)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

exactly dervish.

I wouldn't quite label it as "the good old days" it was more tight knit. YOu could sign on and know everybody on the server, and the list of servers wasn't 2 pages long. It's more wondering were all the good guys you used to know went.

And yes, Oma always went under green.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!

Post by Guest »

as i remember Oma, he was good............about as good as the tops now..............so in that i have to agree with dukot.............again.................where is that beer.
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

the point isn't that he was better than anyone is today, its that at the time he was the undisputed best, at least if you gave him a missile *grin*

Post by Guest »

i sense a little anger in that last reply proton...........feeling old............ :)

welcome to the club, we meet on thursdays to listen to the ball game over a grape neehi...........razz drinks milk because of the loss of stomach, dukot drinks sparkling water because he likes the tingle he gets, we are not sure what fiber and pat drink(they get real nervous at the sound of police sirens though), and gerbil/chestal/monkey............well, they dont like baseball..............we do offer free PreparationH tubes for those in need, and a couple hermroid pillows as well...................
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

heh...metamucil break

Post by Guest »

peanuts and popcorn are better than metamucil...........a little less gasy as well.

here is an extremely grim thought...........is Oma alive?
Fiberchunks
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Fiberchunks »

pepto-bismol is my current drink of choice baggy ;)
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -- A. Einstein
Registered Linux User: 296546
Machines: 181776 181777 181778
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

i had email from oma last year, was doing fine but very busy.
meanwhile, i think i'll embellish some in some memories. hehe

sm
oi!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Geez. Am I the only person here who's watched "The Hunt for Red October?" The Hunt for Red Oman Herta... get it? LoL! Anyway... I pry haven't ever played with him, so I'm sure I didn't know what color of tank he usually had. :D
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

lol, Bagheera. :)

You forgot, razz likes his milk warm, as it's easier to digest. Now, pass me that sparkling water, I need a tingle.

So, if we're that old here...

That would mean captain_proton pops 20 different medication pills in the mornings with his prune juice, Gerbil is still in the can, getting that laxative to work, and Oma Herta is in bed with a permanent IV. ;)
captain_proton wrote:the point isn't that he was better than anyone is today, its that at the time he was the undisputed best, at least if you gave him a missile *grin*
Good point. :) There's no argument there.
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

last i heard (from frank, maybe a month ago), he had gotten his degree and was busy doing his sattelite weather math whatsit thingy
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

Ok,now I know who Oma is. I don't think I was around this community at that time.