Usergroups

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Usergroups

Post by that exploding tank »

What does all the extensions mean for the usergroups, for instance, .admin, .cops...?
pyr0
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pyr0 »

well, .admin and .cop dont really mean anything since they can be set to anything server side. but normally, if the person who requests the group uses the name for the actual meaning, then its as follows

.admin at the end usually means a server admin, someone who can do most anything ... flag resets, kicks, bans, restarts, etc...
.cop usually means an operator (or to use what Cop usually means, channel operator, derived from ircop, which was meant to be an IRCop, but a IRC operator. Cop, or Op is usually meaning a particular channel, or in this case, server.) they can normally kick, shortban and have basic controls to help keep things in order when an admin isnt around ... a lowly admin is really what is is :)

some use .trusted for a trusted admin, which is a server admin, but with the ability to do server restarts and such, and .admin wouldnt have the permission. takes a bit to become trusted

some others use various endings to allow users to spawn, talk, etc ... depends on the server and how the owner/admin sets it up

example, im on longhair.whitelist, longhair.league, longhair.admins, ol.ad, bzfire.admins and tuxsux.cops ... this means on longhairs servers, im allowed to talk, spawn, etc (whitelist only because i had problems joining, it ended up being firewall related though, so whitelist isnt needed.), but also, im allowed to administrate anything server related, see user ips, etc... openleague servers, i have the same permissions as well. same with bzfire servers. but on hepcat, cosmos' servers, im a cop. i have basic controls to ban users, kick them, level of control over other users to help keep the peace and remove bad users (Cheaters, NRs, laggers, rejoiners, etc...)

-pyr0