Post by Alex135 »

ok, i will volonteer to make the maps, i can make it simple or flashy, with the
textures and stuff... but i will need a few people to help with it. Anybody
willing to volonteer? the sooner it is worked on the sooner we can have it
ready in advance for the servers...

i have a few maps, and i can make really good ones if someone can give me
a layout and design for the thing. but i cant host these tutorial maps. i dont
have the bandwith for it.

So, anyone want to work with me on it? i promis you, you wont be sorry.
And you could be part of the improvement for bzflag, and for the better of
n00bs all over the world. :P

Hoster: alex135.gotdns.com ports 5154-5157
Admin: Heart Attack, Camelot, Allied, Lzone, LDDW
Cop: Badgerking, Person1
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

How about we just let anyone do what they want...? If I want to make a tutorial/practice map, I will. I shouldn't need your authorisation.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

As I was saying, we should sort them into tabs. The BZFS server should be able to place itself under any tab it wishes. That way, there are no 'special' servers or anything. If someone wants to put up a tutorial map, all they have to do is give BZFS an extra option to specify what tab they want their map under (Tutorial).
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

CannonBallGuy wrote:How about we just let anyone do what they want...? If I want to make a tutorial/practice map, I will. I shouldn't need your authorisation.
I think you missed the point... True, anyone can do it, and you certainly can if you choose. The "authorization" part comes in later... that is, the development team deciding to embed it as the default map that is included in the BZ distribution kit that people get when they download BZ... with instructions to run it and use it before going to an online server. That part, you can't do on your own.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Sky King wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:How about we just let anyone do what they want...? If I want to make a tutorial/practice map, I will. I shouldn't need your authorisation.
I think you missed the point... True, anyone can do it, and you certainly can if you choose. The "authorization" part comes in later... that is, the development team deciding to embed it as the default map that is included in the BZ distribution kit that people get when they download BZ... with instructions to run it and use it before going to an online server. That part, you can't do on your own.
I get it just perfectly, thank you.
Someone else was suggesting that they become the chief tutorial map maker - as if anyone wanting to make a tutorial map had to get permission...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

CannonBallGuy wrote:Someone else was suggesting that they become the chief tutorial map maker - as if anyone wanting to make a tutorial map had to get permission...
Sorry CBG, I just misunderstood what you were saying earlier... I thought you were replying to Alex135, who was asking for some help but made no reference at all to permission and/or endorsement. My goof.
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Wouldn't several plugins also be necessary for the tutorial map? I mean, the server prompts have to come from somewhere. They might explain the rules ever so often or would actually tell the noobs what to do.
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

alwaysanegativescore
It might, if you want to do that...unless you have signs to tell them what to do.

Alex135
I can help if you need it.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
Alex135
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Alex135 »

ok, it seems by my last post that everyone thinks im makeing myself seem THE map maker. That is not how i ment for it to come across.
i just thaught it would be nice to organize a group of people to work on the maps, and so i thaught i would start finding a few people.
Sorry if people thaught i was being self centerd on the post. I didn't mean to.

:(

thx eagle, i would like lots of help with this project, besides, the more people in it we have, the more people contributed to the posiblity of having all of these maps permanently imbeded into bzflag. only a posiblility though.

Hoster: alex135.gotdns.com ports 5154-5157
Admin: Heart Attack, Camelot, Allied, Lzone, LDDW
Cop: Badgerking, Person1
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

alwaysanegativescore wrote:Wouldn't several plugins also be necessary for the tutorial map? I mean, the server prompts have to come from somewhere. They might explain the rules ever so often or would actually tell the noobs what to do.
There are a number of maps where there are "street signs" embedded as graphics. For instance, I think LouMan has a map where there are signposts next to certain flags that say what that flag is.

My idea is that you spawn into the map... in front of you is a billboard that says "welcome to BZ, etc... Now practice using your mouse or arrow keys to move your tank forward and back, left and right. Now, follow the blue line on the ground to your next station --> "

Then they get to a jumping station... the sign says "you use the tab key to jump, and while in the jump, your tank will continue to move in the speed and direction it was moving when you pressed tab. Practice jumping onto, and back off of this building a few times. Try jumping while your tank is in a turn and see what happens. Then follow the red line to the next station."

At the stations, they pick up flags, drop flags, shoot the gun, shoot the laser, see rico, see the differences in shot counts and reload times...

Then they do advanced jumping, like enclosed steps, and then open-air steps like two castles... Maybe wings is at the end and they can fly around the map they just completed.

No server messages, no plugins, no scripting... 100% conventional map making.

Farther down the road, my idea is a more advanced map, probably on a training server online... which eventually may require plugins to add:
- Unarmed bot tanks they can shoot at with various weapons (you need a target to really practice GM, especially).
- A radar tutorial, with ST and CL bots on the map...
- An intro to teams
- A rudimentary CTF practice

I think if we get enough caffiene into LouMan, we'll be absolutely, positively amazed at what can be accomplished.

Let me just say that whether you agree or disagree with any of my ideas, I am delighted by how people have jumped on this and gotten engaged in the discussion.
Loose Cannon
Private
Private

Post by Loose Cannon »

It would be helpful for newbies if they knew the playing level they need to play at on certain servers. So next to the server if there could be difficulty level/experience level need such as "beginner", "advanced", "training" etc.

Of course there are also newbies that can not read yet, like my son. He started reading this past year, but still doesn't follow written instructions or things like that. He knows not to TK and is actually pretty good on most servers. His registered under 13 callsign "Mikey".
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

Heres somthing I made quickly that is an example of what we could do:
yes, I could make it the box texture instead of pink but im lazy...
Attachments
bzfi0005.png
Box
(247.37 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Inserting servers at the top of the list

Post by Deadalot »

Sky King wrote: I wonder how many people install, come into Boxy or Mofo when they're busy... get slaughtered, kicked for TKing... and just quit and never come back.
It happens a lot. I've seen it in our linux user group where we show people the game, they drop onto an active map and get repeatedly blown up. It's not fun, they go away. It's not the TK'ing that does it. it's getting slaughtered by people who are experts that drives them away.

I'd like to see a self rating system like what was in Castle Wolfenstein.

Don't hurt me.
I know what I'm doing.
Bring 'em on.

And let the player rate himself. Force that selection the first time after a fresh install. Allow that rating to bleed through into the ID screens so we can see the self rated newbies and be less harsh on them. Maybe guide them to a map that isn't full of pirhana. This self rating system should not change the game play or people would use it to cheat, but it could certainly let us shepherd new users as we see them.

Perhaps promotion could be tied to kill ratio or positive / negative scoring or general game play ranking and start with a large deficit. That way, someone who underrates themself get's promoted rather soon. Of course, you should be able to opt up into whatever level you want.

I've been playing for years and there are times that I show up on boards and I just feel overwhelmed by the other players skills. I can imagine how that translates to the newbies.

Deadalot