Fine-grained Server Search

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
matelich
Private First Class
Private First Class

Fine-grained Server Search

Post by matelich »

I love _shotsKeepVerticalVelocity. Playing without it drives me crazy. I've done some searching, but I don't see anything on this subject. Is there a way to search for sites with some setting activated? I'd guess there are people who feel similarly about other settings.

Is this even reported for the Find Servers tool to filter on/display? If so, I'd gladly hack my own little tool in. Thanks for any info you might have.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

at present it is not reported to the list server, and not part of the info the client has when listing games.
ImageJeffM
matelich
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by matelich »

So, if I was really desperate, I'd need to connect to all sites with Jumping and check for the setting? Which would of course trigger scorn and get me added to ban lists across the world.
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

matelich wrote:So, if I was really desperate, I'd need to connect to all sites with Jumping and check for the setting? Which would of course trigger scorn and get me added to ban lists across the world.
Why would connecting and leaving a server get you benned. And once you know a server doesn't have that setting, it doesn't have it and you don't need to go there again. Server settings don't change often.
matelich
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by matelich »

Well, if I wrote the tool, it would be with bz code, and I'd submit it, and now you'd have picky players all over the world doing the same thing.

Perhaps a better plan would be to make website which on the backend would occasionally log in and get detailed information. Then people could look for info there.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there is work being done for 2.2 to have more info available at server list time. bzdb variables are included in that.
ImageJeffM