Web based map editors

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Web based map editors

Post by Zehra »

Looking through the code of a few map editors, it seems that porting them to web technologies would offer some promise.
While there is some performance loss, this will very likely not be an issue, unless with using much older computers.
Examples of tools or editors which could benefit greatly from this would be: Modeltool, Anim8orToBZW, BZWorkbench..etc
Taking advantage of web technologies can turn command line tools into user-friendly drop and load interfaces.
What would be everyone's thoughts on the subject?

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Web based map editors

Post by tainn »

I create maps by hand, but am interested in any sort of map editor development and updates. If something would actually be done on the matter, you can color me interested.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

While i do not create maps instead only editing them by hand, +1. :)
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Are you suggesting to create a full-blown map editor as a web app? Or are you simply talking about websites that will let you drag files and it'll run them through modeltool for example?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

allejo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 am Are you suggesting to create a full-blown map editor as a web app? Or are you simply talking about websites that will let you drag files and it'll run them through modeltool for example?
Ideally both, if not, simple drop and drag websites would be of the greater benefit.
If the concept is viable and enough interest, it would make sense to begin to plan to [possibly?] dedicate some resources towards the development of either web applications or a web site or both options.

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Zehra wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:55 amIf the concept is viable and enough interest, it would make sense to begin to plan to [possibly?] dedicate some resources towards the development of either web applications or a web site or both options.
IMHO we are long past the point where we can simply "dedicate some resources," or in other words ask people to work on a project they are otherwise not interested in, for the general good of the game or because people would appreciate having a certain feature. Development now is driven by individuals who are self-motivated to work on certain projects for whatever reason. Those reasons typically include personal development/learning, personal benefit from a certain game feature, having a general vision or set of goals for the game in the future, and so on.

There is nothing wrong with envisioning improvements or new features that could be brought to the game. I think all of the developers do this. And I realize that when some people post ideas here, they may be trying to inspire others to work on something with them. However, as far as I'm concerned, it's unhelpful to come and post ideas here unless you are ready to take the lead and shoulder the brunt of the work to implement them.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

So true and if my web development skills were at a good enough level, I would be willing to undertake the effort myself.
For now the details and the goals can be planned and discussed, so when the time is right, anyone may undertake the work out of their own will and interest, but without sufficient planning, it simply becomes an idea which when tried to be developed into a project will run into multiple surprising delays.
My focus on planning for this is based on personal experience of when having a project carefully planned, it does not run into many preventable issues.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

“The details and the goals” are entirely missing from any of your posts in this topic so far.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Everything comes in good timing and as with most plans, they must be flexible enough to allow changes or to move on to another direction if not.
The reason not much has been provided is lack of sufficient data, but even so I can still provide a rough outline, although it will not be as accurate as one with more feedback and data.

First step has been to see the overall interest and the possibility of it being made a reality.
This would be to see if any relevant concerns have been made, such as there being no interest or simply not being a viable option for whatever reason.
Currently it seems it is viable enough and that there will be interest and support, although this is based on limited data.

The next step of the project is the proper functionality of code and implementation is worked out, as well as the design of the drop and drag sites and full-fledged web apps. Afterwards, scheduling, time frames..etc may be worked out.

The goals and the details will be mainly based on the feedback provided by players, while the implementation is guided by those with sufficient skill in programming.

The finer details will be worked out at a later time, but for now the current goal to gain feedback and insights to begin planning.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

That's a lot of words to say nothing.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

mathiaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mathiaz »

Some people need to speak a lot ...

I use homemade lib with some objects :
- blocs (pyra, box, base, zone, ..etc)
- collectionManager ( manage blocs in a grid, with usefull method to clean area, compute space between blocs, clone symetric blocs ...) ...

So when a make a map, i just write few functions ( random , geometrical pattern, clean area ..)
It s very usefull to make quick map and test gameplay.

So a panel web could be usefull if it works this way.
<°)))><|