BZWorkbench is in the Works

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Catoblepas wrote::idea:

How about having a library of textures already in the map editor?
That would make things alot easyer.
A better idea might be making the map editor automatically download textures defined in URLs in the map file for display. Then, in addition to making existing maps easier to edit, one could pick images off of images.bzflag.org and easily add them to the map.
big_daddy2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by big_daddy2 »

Great job! i look forward to seeing how this comes out! :)
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

TD-Linux wrote:
Catoblepas wrote::idea:

How about having a library of textures already in the map editor?
That would make things alot easyer.
A better idea might be making the map editor automatically download textures defined in URLs in the map file for display. Then, in addition to making existing maps easier to edit, one could pick images off of images.bzflag.org and easily add them to the map.
One problem could be space and permissions if you are going to download the files to the disk (If you are just viewing the files, like in a web browser, then you probably wont need to consider the following but it would need to put the textures somewhere, maybe in the ram) . If one does not have the permission to add files to a directory, wherever BZWorkbench would store them, then one could not view/add (in a sense within the GUI, in the code, the url would be there.) If it is possible, when installing BZWorkbench, perhaps it could install itself in its own folder with permissions or extract the textures in a temp folder.
your best friend
Private
Private

Post by your best friend »

Hi guys, I've managed to build the latest svn code for Mac OS X with the latest version of the development tools, but there seems to be a problem with the way fltk handles events on OS X, because none of the mouse motions or clicks do anything in the main 3d view. Anyone know anything about this? What version of fltk is bzworkbench for windows built against? There are no build errors, all resources load correctly, everything works great except for what appears to be the fltk event handling (or lack thereof).
your best friend
Private
Private

Post by your best friend »

So, I've been working through this a bit and I can safely say that I think fltk isn't the problem anymore. It seems that there's an issue with OSG and for some reason, trying to interact with the 3d view by dragging the mouse or clicking doesn't work at all. I can double right click for the context menu just fine, but that's about it. Anyone know what's going on here?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Please don't double post. Use the edit button...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
jude-
2007 Google Summer of Code Participant

Post by jude- »

your_best_friend:

BZWorkbench needs to be built against OSG 2.0 and FLTK 1.1.7. Unfortunately, you're going to need to build OSG from source on Mac OS X...the pre-built OSX libs from OSG's website don't work for some reason (in fact, the pre-built Windows libs don't work with either, so I'm told).
A computer in the hands of a capable developer is like a lightsaber in the hands of a capable Jedi.
gnu-sense
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gnu-sense »

The OSG website doesn't work very well either. The server is only intermittently accessible, both SVN and zipped versions of OSG source return timeout errors, and email to the website maintainer is returned with an error 550 "we don't handle mail for openscenegraph.com"

I'm looking at pages on http://www.openscenegraph.com/ , and the associated wiki. If anyone knows another path to the source, I'd like to know about it.

gnu-sense
jude-

Post by jude- »

Use http://www.openscenegraph.org instead of http://www.openscenegraph.com for best results :).

I got my copy with Subversion. Here's the command:

svn co http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/O ... raph-2.0.0 OpenSceneGraph

I'll be providing a binary installer along with the source code for Mac OS X and Windows once BZWB reaches 1.0. Also, I'll be building deb and rpm packages for GNU/Linux :).
A computer in the hands of a capable developer is like a lightsaber in the hands of a capable Jedi.
zaa
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zaa »

Looks Cool,
Seems Cool,
Smells Cool. (?)

I'm excited.

:)
Joe Mama
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joe Mama »

Wow...That is just amazing...It looks like it will simplify so much and will
save people so much time from handtyping. It has just about everything
you could want in a map making program.
I8ABUG
Private
Private

Post by I8ABUG »

When will there be a date for the release of BZWorkbench? :)

I wonder how much time will be saved for map makers with BZWorkbench. :?:
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

There is no release date set. We rarely set release dates, because we do not have a defined plan for any of the projects. All of the code is done on a volunteer basis, so it gets done when people feel like it, and they code on parts that they enjoy.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Cheshire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheshire »

Does it at least look close to being done? People should have pity and feel like releasing it. :(
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

It will be released when it's done. At this point, there isn't much work being done on it, so it would be released for a while.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Cheshire
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Cheshire »

Will it be compatible with 3.0?
I think they said that they were trying to release it before summer.
Team BA!
(Better Agent)
Don't install linux on me!
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

A Better Badger wrote:Will it be compatible with 3.0?
I think they said that they were trying to release it before summer.
Yes, BZWorkbench will be compatible with BZFlag 3.0. There are not any major changes to mapping with 3.0.

And to be clear... BZFlag 3.0 will be released when it is ready, also. I do not believe that it will be ready BEFORE summer, as summer is nearly here. That being said there is a feature freeze on 3.0 and they are hammering bugs out of the code with regularity. BZFlag 3.0 WILL be released soon... but not before it's time. But BZWorkbench is currently without a champion (read as, no one is actively working on it) and until there is one... nothing will change concerning it's release date.

So, if you want to see BZWorkbench completed we need someone (and preferably a couple of people) to step up and start working on this. Our current developers (a very small dedicated work force) are working on the core game and this is not part of the core.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln