[OUTDATED] Windows build of BZWorkBench - SVN revision 15444

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
blast
General
General

[OUTDATED] Windows build of BZWorkBench - SVN revision 15444

Post by blast »

Hello everyone. I'm sure quite a few of you have been drooling over the recent development progress of the BZWorkBench project. I figured it would be fun to try and make a build for others to use. Linux users should be build it, but the Windows folks might have more trouble.

bzworkbench-20070825-r15444.zip

As the name implies, this was from August 25, 2007. It was created from the SVN revision 15444. Anyway, I used VC7.1 to build this on a Windows XP machine. I haven't tested this on any other machines, so I make no guarantee for it working.

Before you download, keep in mind that this is not a finished product. Many features are not yet implemented or finalized. This is not even a beta version. However, feel free to leave feedback about anything. I'm sure jude- would be happy to hear what people think about his hard work thus far.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Jude-:Some suggestions: When I used other GUI map editors, like BZEdit and BZFed, there was one 'base' object, and within the properties you could change the base color. I found that way more convenient than they way you made it, with a different object for each different color base. If you get to it, could you include a feature that centers the camera on the center of the map, or on an object? When zoomed out, the xyz object "draggers" stay the same size. Could you make it so they stay the same size on the 3d window independent of how far you are zoomed? Also, could you make it so one could deselect everything so you could look at the map without something being green? Could you also make it so you can enter a number into the world size instead of having to press the arrows?

So far you've done a great job on the editor otherwise, keep working on it! I'm really looking forward to the final release!
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

More suggestions:

Make right click adjust the camera, the scroll wheel zoom. Left click to select stuff.

Drop the blue background, and just go with black.

Lighten the green used as the ground.

All I got for now.. keep it coming.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
jude-
2007 Google Summer of Code Participant
2007 Google Summer of Code Participant

Post by jude- »

@me1:

You're absolutely right--the draggers should be the same size regardless of the zoom factor. If I can ever figure out how to determine exactly what the zoom factor is at run-time, that'll be the first improvement I'll make.

Changing the base color after it has been created is another good idea...I'll get on it as soon as my instructors stop piling on the homework :/

Typing in the number instead of counting it up/down is another good idea...I'll add that in the next SVN commit.

It is possible to center the camera on an arbitrary point in space via OSG's trackball camera manipulator (which BZWB uses)...I'll consider adding that. You technically can already do this by middle-clicking and dragging, but it's messier.

It is also possible to de-select everything in the scene--just hold down shift and double-click the last object (shift in combination with double-clicking allows the selection of 0 or more objects). Yes, this should be simpler, but it's solution was diverted in light of more pressing matters.

@Hannibal

Scroll-wheel zooming is indeed possible...I just haven't gotten around to it yet because there were more important issues to deal with (the current mouse gestures are OSG's defaults).

In the future, the background color will be customizable.

How "light" did you think the ground should be? In reality, the lightening of the ground is dynamic--it lightens or darkens with respect to other objects in the scene (to add contrast), but that can be changed.
A computer in the hands of a capable developer is like a lightsaber in the hands of a capable Jedi.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Now that summer of code is over, the rest of the developers and community will be working on BZWorkBench, and the other SoC Projects to flesh them out to there final goals.

The UI for BZWB will be getting a good going over, as jude's primary goal was to get us a good cross platform framework for the editor project. A goal he met with flying colors. The current UI is simply a testing framework to ensure that the back end works as intended, and should not be taken as an example of the final interface.

So just like the main bzflag code, BZWB will be open to patches and submissions by anyone interested.
ImageJeffM
Jack1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jack1 »

When will the next release come out? (with all of the functions.)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

when it is ready.

we don't do fixed release dates.
ImageJeffM
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Windows build of BZWorkBench - SVN revision 15444

Post by Crallion »

I'm sorry, but I don't know how to "build" programs or else i wouldn't be asking this, but could someone who knows how please make a OS X build for me and others with macs?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

this thread is over a year and a half old. The workbench project was never finished, and is still undergoing development, it is not a valid editing solution yet. We hope to have more work done on it soon. I do not believe it can be built easily on a Macintosh at this time.
ImageJeffM
Crallion
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Crallion »

ok, thats fine
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

To err is human. To really foul up requires the root password.