someone really needs to fix up ibzedit!!!..this is why

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

someone really needs to fix up ibzedit!!!..this is why

Post by silver surfer »

ok so... I was working on the tunnels of my map on my map called warzone......

so I finally finished my tunnels... after a hole day...I also had a fake floor and a new river holder thing.... everything.. deleted...

so I finally finish... it looked awsome!....

I go to file..... test map... I get on my map and the fake ground...ALL TUNNELS... ABOUT 20 TUNNELS... and the river holder thing.....

wtf is up with that?.... I need answers.. this needs to be fixed... if it's a space issue for the maps... they need to notify me that I don't have any more space left instead of making me work on it for the rest of the day....

I feel like I'm ready to kill someone...

when I say I worked all day.. I mean all day... 8:00 AM-7:45 PM

arrrrrrrrgggggggg

here look at it for yourself... look how 80 units high of stuff is empty..... don't take my map and use it for your own need -.-

EDIT- w8 the river thingy wasn't taken out

and ofcorse this could be a false alarm and i did something stupid with the tunnels that made an error...
Attachments
warzone+tunnels.bzw
(201.22 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Let us know when you decide to fix iBZEdit. You have the code. If it's so important that it gets fixed, fix it. That editor is not affiliated with the BZFlag project, so we have nothing to do with it.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Well, for one thing..

You can't have size, position, and rotation declarations in a mesh. No.

Remove this stuff:

Code: Select all

name BZMesh
position 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
size 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000
rotation 0.000000
Second, you have duplicate group names. No. Change the name of these.

define BZGroupDefinition
Also, you have some.. weird things going on. Run a search for this and fix it... it happens quite a few times.

teleporter BZBox_258_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy
I imagine that should read

teleporter 
name BZBox_258_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy_Copy
There's probably other stuff wrong as well, but I can't take hours to look for the errors.

This is a good reason why you should test your map, every few times you make a change. That way, if something IS wrong, you know where to look.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

pfft... me coding stuff....

i was just saying that this is really pissing me off..
i've already talked to winny... he said i might have caused the error.. and its not ibzedit...

but yeh i suck wih coding..

just saying if the space is the issue... idk cause on one of my boxes it was like BzBox 2773 or somethin so i had a lot on there but still i think it should get 4-5 thousand boxes case i've seen plenty of maps with 3-4000 boxes...

winny- it didn;t take me hours to find the error... it took me hours to make the tunnels and stuff..

but yeh... im not sure wut the problem is... might be a self made error or ibzdit just has a sucky amount of like space...
the teleporter thing... i think i took a box and duplicated it... then turned it into a teleporter.. is that a prblem?
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

silver surfer wrote:or ibzdit just has a sucky amount of like space...
What on earth does that mean? "a sucky amount of like space"...?

A BZW file is a text file, so there's nothing special in that aspect.

Not to mention, maps can go way over the 200k yours is. Louman's maps are usually 700+k, and I've made test maps that were about 15,000k (15mb)...

The best thing you can do is contact someone who worked on iBZEdit, if you discover that it indeed was an error caused by iBZEdit, and not you.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The iBZEdit project is no longer maintained. In other words, that project is dead, unless someone takes it over. But don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

so wut am i suppsed to do now =(

do i use my old one with pretty bad tunnels... or wut...

and should i find a new map editor?... that works on mac is there one?... and i do not code=P thats like me trying to do through the fire and flames on expert on guitar hero 3... cant go for more the 5 seconds=P
Tedius
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Tedius »

silver surfer wrote:pfft... me coding stuff....
silver surfer wrote:but yeh i suck wih coding..
silver surfer wrote:but yeh... im not sure wut the problem is...
silver surfer wrote:is that a prblem?
Mapmaking is coding. There are tools that make it a bit easier, but one would be foolish to rely on these tools entirely.
silver surfer wrote:so wut am i suppsed to do now =(
The next step is to go through your map file and take out the problems. Count on doing this from 8am to 8pm tomorrow. I think most of us would have more fun fixing the problems in your forum post instead of fixing your map for you. But that's not very nice.

Your other option is to use Time Machine on your Mac. Go back to 9:00am and see if that map works, and go through the day until the map stops working.

Your last option is to forget it and play more guitar hero. There is more money in becoming a professional guitar player than developing open source software.
Last edited by Tedius on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
this signature intentionally left blank
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

i have a time machine on my comp???
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

If you run Leopard, I'll assume you enabled it, although you do need an external HDD.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

silver surfer wrote:so wut am i suppsed to do now =(
I didnt think it was even POSSIBLE to use iBZedit until I heard you were using it. I thought it had been dead for months. Here's what you should do.

Dump iBzedit forever.
Learn to import/export obj files.
Get a real 3-d editor. I suggest learning the basics of 3d with wings3d, and then moving to blender as soon as you think you can.

Even the best mappers need to be able to edit bzw's in text. If you are in it for the long haul, you should make at least one simple map... entirely in text.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

well the map on the starting post.. that was all made in ibzedit...
i finally found out how to use wings... but i dont kno how to import and stuff...

for basic maps i find ibzedit very easy if u kno how to use it... but this part of the map is not that basic..

yeh i made a couple objects on wings.. but ive seen objects from wings on other maps and i have no idea how to make them like that...

i made a rocket=)
Last edited by silver surfer on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

how much is that leopard thing winny... i might use that a lot...
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Wow dude, can you not look that up yourself?

http://apple.com/macosx

If you can't find it from that link ...
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

yeh i made a couple objects on wings.. but ive seen objects from wings on other maps and i have no idea how to make them like that...
Wings is not a "pick it up and learn it in 10 minutes" kind of program. It takes MONTHS to learn just the basics. If you want your maps to look good, you have to put the time into learning HOW to make them, not just use a graphical editor that does it for you.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

well i learned it in like 15 minutes... when i tried it for like the 5th time.....

but i just went to the website... and looked at a video of it.. i just do conntrol or alt... forgot and it gives u the choice of what kinda object u want... then you can minimize or stretch or do whatever with the object...

sorry about all misspelling and grammar probs in earlier posts=/
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

Just because you can make a few objects does NOT mean you know how to use the program. Again, it takes more than 15 minutes to learn all the in's and out's of the program.
silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

#1... yeh i can make objects... u said basics... i learned the basics in 15 minutes... not months... I don't think I'll ever be a pro at wings anyways....
why u makin such a big deal outa this?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The basic of wings doesn't take that long to learn. It's a fairly simple interface, much like that of BZEdit/iBZEdit. Let's just stop discussing the difficulty of said program.

Anyway, to convert a Wings3D model into a BZW, either use the Wings3D exporter from this forum, or export to Wavefront OBJ and then convert to BZW with modeltool. If you wish to pursue these options, please use the Search functionality of this forum.

Please keep in mind that map making is not necessarily a trivial task. Much like web design, a WYSIWYG editor isn't always the end-all solution to creating a final product.
Last edited by blast on Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

dont mean to be annoyng cause i dont know about this stuff.. but wut do you mean wavefront and WYSWYG editor and wuts the modeltool... i kno its somewhere in forums or wiki right? where do find it?...

once i have those things how do i use them?... god im so stupid with computers lol
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

blast wrote:If you wish to pursue these options, please use the Search functionality of this forum.
Please learn to do stuff for yourself.

silver surfer
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by silver surfer »

wut? :shock: i just.... o nvm..