UPDATED 3-13-10: Anim8or to BZW Converter

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

UPDATED 3-13-10: Anim8or to BZW Converter

Post by Evanejk »

UPDATE 2-17-10: Now supports rotation, pyramids and teleporters.
UPDATE 3-13-10: Now you can convert rotation from anim8or without tagging the name.

Using C++ I've created a converter that converts cubes in anim8or to objects in bzflag. In the future I would like to make it so you can convert by dropping a file on the executable, and make it so you can just rotate it in anim8or and not have to use rot_#_.

Instructions on making map:
  • Make the map in anim8or.
    While making the map, only use cubes. To change what type of object the cubes are, change the cube's names.
    • To make a pyramid:
      • Put “pyr” (no quotes needed) anywhere in the name.
      To make a teleporter:
      • Put “tel” (no quotes needed) anywhere in the name. The teleporter’s X size will be set to .125 in the BZW file, so you should set it to .125 in anim8or. (The teleporter will go along bzflag’s Y axis, if you want to change this, rotate it.)
    To Rotate:
    • Rotate the object in anim8or only around the height axis. (This is the only rotation that bzflag supports.) (Edit>Rotation)
Info/Tips:
  • It’s helpful to color code the cubes in anim8or, so you can see which ones are boxes, pyramids, and teleporters.
    Do not name any cubes over 50 characters long.
    Do not make any object sizes/positions super long.
    It will work more perfectly if you use round numbers to size/position your objects.
To Convert:
  • 1. Put an anim8or file named "map.an8" in the same directory as the converter.
    2. Run Anim8orBZWConverter.exe
    3. The output file will be called map.bzw, and will be in the same directory.
This is being released under the GPLv3 license. The source is in the attachment. "Converter\Source\an8_to_bzw_converter"
Attachments
Converter.zip
(374.35 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
Last edited by Evanejk on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
hutty
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Anim8or to BZW Box/Cube Converter

Post by hutty »

this probably should be moved to the Map Editors Forum.
For all of you who have asked what a hutty is, there is one as my avatar.

instant map... just add water
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

huttymuncher wrote:this probably should be moved to the Map Editors Forum.
I was thinking that, but the other converters are posted on this one.
  • ModelTool for OBJ to BZW conversion
    .bzw to .obj conversion, the easy way.
    BZW Exporter for Wings3D (v1.1)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you are releasing it under GPLv3, then where is the source code to build your application? Also not sure what you mean by "That's my compilers license, so I'm guessing that's what I should go by" - you should be picking a license for your code, not necessarily based on what your compiler was licensed under. So pick a license, make sure you understand it, and then release your source code accordingly. I think the GPLv3 also requires that you include a copy of the license with your code and/or binaries. But that is something that you need to check.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

blast wrote:If you are releasing it under GPLv3, then where is the source code to build your application? Also not sure what you mean by "That's my compilers license, so I'm guessing that's what I should go by" - you should be picking a license for your code, not necessarily based on what your compiler was licensed under. So pick a license, make sure you understand it, and then release your source code accordingly.
Can I just release the program under public domain then?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you want to post it here, it has to be open-source. So if you want to public domain the source code, then sure, go for it. Otherwise pick a license (GPL, MIT, New BSD, etc)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Evanejk »

blast wrote:If you want to post it here, it has to be open-source. So if you want to public domain the source code, then sure, go for it. Otherwise pick a license (GPL, MIT, New BSD, etc)
Thanks, I put the source in the attachment.
Evanejk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: UPDATED 3-13-10: Anim8or to BZW Converter

Post by Evanejk »

Now you can convert rotation from anim8or without tagging the name.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: UPDATED 3-13-10: Anim8or to BZW Converter

Post by Zehra »

Ported to Python: Anim8orToBZW - Now in lightweight Python script

Edit: Added link to less buggy version and removed attached buggy version.
NOTE: If you downloaded the script from this thread, please visit the link and download the updated version. (All future updates of my port will take place in that thread.)

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread