2D world render and 2D bz editor.

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Yrogirg
Private First Class
Private First Class

2D world render and 2D bz editor.

Post by Yrogirg »

Is there a way to make a map of the world, i.e. 2D plan? Maybe blender/wings3D support it, if so how do I do that?

Are there any map editors that allow you to design map in 2D, so the editor will look something like inkscape. Most of the maps are mostly 2D or have 2-3 2D levels so I think for many of us there is no need in 3D graphical editor.

Maybe I'll think a bit about bzw -> svg converter.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Re: 2D world render and 2D bz editor.

Post by optic delusion »

A lot of times I use a piece of graph paper, and a pencil. Sometimes colored pens.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
zaphod
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by zaphod »

same here ::: doodling and sketching ideas out on a piece of paper first.
lately when i have my idea, i started to use Google's SketchUp. with a prepared file and a guides layout, i start to draw everything in 2D (or import it from another app).
to get a 3D impression and to check the "playability" and dimensions, just "pull" the 2D objects into the 3rd dimension and you'll see what you'll get. ;)
if you buy SketchUp, you can also export your "map" as an obj-file and convert it with modeltool to a usable bzw.file ....

Jefenry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jefenry »

You might try FPEdit by flying_popcorn.
mrapple
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by mrapple »

zaphod wrote:if you buy SketchUp, you can also export your "map" as an obj-file and convert it with modeltool to a usable bzw.file ....
You can also download the trial of sketchup pro which gives you however many free hours of modeling with all the features of the paid version.
yarro
Private First Class
Private First Class

The answer is yes

Post by yarro »

You can get superior results using InkScape. What works is, if I remember correctly, saving the file as a DXF which is CAD format. I find that you can then open in Sketchup and extrude lines into the Z dimension. It is better to use polygons however b splines might have potential as well. You can add thickness to lines in inkscape by playing around with stroke and stroke to path and setting path widths. Great for making highways. If you use other 3D modeling software usually you have to use the 3DS file structure but that causes all objects to be triangulated which is not so good. If you convert to a Obj format that is best but it is hard to work with so I do the changes in Inkscape and Sketchup and tweak scale and orientation in Maya, Blender, Wings, etc. Wings and Maya are especially handy and sometimes blender can be you buddy too but not very often using BZWorkbench in Blender. Perhaps another Google summer of code will fix that problem, though.