Wings3D (un)triangulating every face.

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Wings3D (un)triangulating every face.

Post by Agent West »

Greetings!

Am using Wings 3D mostly as a converter from .obj to .bzw and have noticed that every face in the model is divided up into triangles, as if the program connected every vertex to every other vertex on came plane. Is there an easy way to un-do this? Only way i could figure out is to manually select edges and delete them, but that takes a long time.
Have tried "Untriangulate" function as well, but it seems to do nothing.

Main reason why i would like to un-triangulate the faces is so textures would look correctly in the map.

The file was exported to .obj format from SketchUp using "su2objmtl" plugin.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Re: Wings3D (un)triangulating every face.

Post by allejo »

As far as I know there isn't any native way to do it, though I believe there is/was a plugin for it at one point, not sure if it works any more.

http://nendowingsmirai.yuku.com/topic/1958#.UfsKiRaii0Y
Agent West
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Agent West »

Have looked at that program. Even though it shows that it has combined the triangles, for some reason in the file it shows that objects are made of more faces then they were before.
Rest in peace, AliceD (AKA Happy Alice)! miss ya!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

View the obj file in meshlab to see if it has the triangles. If it does then they were made by the sketch-up export. This is my guess as to where that happens. Most programs turn everything into triangles so that they are all planar. My guess is that sketch up also doesn't export UV coordinates and you are relying on the default mapping in bzflag, this is not good. You should texture your models and have real burned in UV coordinates.

If the obj file looks fine in meshlab then the problem is wings. You can use ModelTool to convert from obj to bzw and it does not do any extra tessellation by default. It also will properly map any UV texture coordinates that are part of the obj file.
ImageJeffM