pyBzEdit released

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pyBzEdit released

Post by Daddo »

Hello all - I have released pyBzEdit into the world through sourceforge.net. Just go there and search for pybzedit. To make it run you will need a recent copy of:

Python
wxPython
Numeric (and maybe Numarray)
PyOpenGL

The program should run equally well on Linux as Windows. Please backup your world files before editing - the program currently has no undo and no prompt when exiting to save a modified world. There is no documentation (except what you can find in the program) and the graphics are a bit crude. However, there are a few nice features too:

1. It understands all current bzflag world objects and their properties
2. You can select more than one object and delete/copy/transform them.
3. You can cut & paste between pyBzEdit and a text editor.
4. On windows (does not work yet on Linux) you can launch a server or server and client to drive around your world.

This is my first python program ever, and I last dealt with 3d graphics in college - so please be gentle with me and my program :oops: I hope it proves to be useful and leads to some great new worlds to play in....

David Lawler a.k.a. Daddo
nurdc0re
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: pyBzEdit released

Post by nurdc0re »

Daddo wrote:The program should run equally well on Linux as Windows.
And there are those of us with Mac OS X....
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Doesn't wxWindows also have a Mac version?
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pyBzEdit

Post by Daddo »

It should even work with a Mac! but I have no way to try it. If the packages I list are available for Mac (and I think they are) - it should work :D

Hope I did not offend any Mac users by forgetting to mention this :flame:
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

err, um, where do i download it?
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Memnarch »

Ok, i downloaded the pybzedit and got all the packages it requires. I downloaded PyOpenGL, and when i tried to istall it, it could not find a this:"__init__.py" in a whole bunch of directories, plus it gave me this error:

error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

I am using mandrake linux 10.0, perhaps if you could tell me what version of PyOpenGL and where to download it, that might help. Please answer soon!
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

daddo, cooooollllllllll..........very fast.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pybzedit

Post by Daddo »

Grumbler - guess you figured out it's on sourceforge :)
On linux I am somewhat at a loss - I did set up a Debian (Sarge distro) box and after a short struggle I got it to work. But Debian has the advantage that you can get pre-packaged stuff. I'll check and see what versions I went with (but have to reboot first). I'll post the answer in a few minutes.
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pyBzEdit

Post by Daddo »

Memnarch, ok this is what is on my Linux box:

python 2.3.4-5
python2.3-numeric 23.3-5 (Numeric)
python2.3-opengl 2.0.0.44-4 (pyOpenGL)
libwxgtk2.4 2.4.2.4 (this is wxPython)

These are all installed as binary packages. You have to install python first....I don't think it matters as far as the order of the others. Only problem...this may not apply to Mandrake. Yikes - just looked around for pyopengl RPM's for Mandrake 10 and found none. Really the version should not matter much - but it looks like you might have to build from source? In this case you probably need to load the python-devel stuff. If anyone else out there is an expert in Mandrake maybe they could help!?? Looks like you would be set with debian and with Fedora RPM's.

Sorry.

David
nurdc0re
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: pyBzEdit

Post by nurdc0re »

Daddo wrote:It should even work with a Mac! but I have no way to try it. If the packages I list are available for Mac (and I think they are) - it should work :D

Hope I did not offend any Mac users by forgetting to mention this :flame:
A lot of unix packages are available with fink (which I don't have installed... yet). Sometime it would be nice to have someone package some kind of friendly installer, but in the meantime I'll mess around with fink. The bad news here is that I'm leaving for a week, so I won't be able to actually do it for a while. Anyone else want to give it a shot?

Note: Actually, I just checked what packages are available on the fink site, and I can download everything except for PyOpenGL. Who knows how building that from source will go, but that would make a fun project. If I ever get this working, I'll post a screenshot.
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pybzedit installer for Win32 on sourceforge

Post by Daddo »

Hello all - I am thinking that the need to install python and many other packages in order to run this application is maybe slowing people down - or few people care :)

Therefore - I have created with cx-feeze and InnoSetup/ISTool an easy to install package for pyBzEdit. This is about a 2MB download and around 12MB on your had drive. It installs pyBzEdit and a striped down version of python and the required libraries. Give it a try and see what you think!

Here is a link to the project on Sourceforge where you can download the installer:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pybzedit/

I hope you enjoy the program!

David A.K.A. Daddo
Aribeth
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Aribeth »

Hi Daddo,
Do you have pybzedit as source code? I'm running Gentoo Linux and cannot use the win32 installer. I already have Python, etc installed so I don't need them in the pybzedit package, just the pybzedit code.

Thanks
Daddo
Private First Class
Private First Class

pybzflag

Post by Daddo »

Hi aribeth - yes the source is there too. Just use the link above and click on [View ALL Project Files] or use this link:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=114763

If you linux and Mac folks need something other than a zip file I would be happy to post it. Besides python itself you'll also need:

python2.3-numeric 23.3-5 (Numeric)
python2.3-opengl 2.0.0.44-4 (pyOpenGL)
libwxgtk2.4 2.4.2.4 (this is wxPython)

Please be aware that although the progam runs on linux (debian 'sarge' at least), I have not used it there much and there may be problems with it - please be careful. I know that the code to launch a test server or test server and client does not work. Between family, work and playing bzflag too much :oops: there is not alot of time for me to work on this. If anyone wants to get involved with the project to improve the linux/mac support (or any other improvements) please raise your hand :)

Thanks,

David A.K.A. Daddo
god4saken
Private
Private

I have an error using your package

Post by god4saken »

I have this error using the pyBzEdit.py:

bash-2.05b$ python pyBzEdit.py
The program 'pyBzEdit.py' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
(...)

I have exactly the same problem using the gtk bzedit, I think it maybe because of I am using xorg instead of xfree but it is only a supposition.