new approach to bzedit-ng

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

new approach to bzedit-ng

Post by purple_cow »

So, after a few months of other projects, my interest in bzedit has momentarily returned.

All you folks drooling at those earlier screenshots might be a little disappointed, since I've decided to abandon that approach. However, I have a new one (and scanline helping too, since it's python and he likes that).

Everything is going to be a set of plugins to blender. This lets us focus on completeness and features rather than doing all the tricky things like grouping or name coherency.

Screenshots at http://navi.cx/images/screenshots/bzedit
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

Post by Nidhoggr »

The screenshots look cool. How easy is it to use and are the things like grouping completely out of the question? I think the grouping this is one of the things that people are the most frustrated with.

-Nidhoggr
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

Because it's in blender, it can do anything blender can do. This includes grouping, but since it has real editing features, grouping isn't quite as important (since you can grab a bunch of objects and move/rotate/scale them without actually creating a group)

As far as being easy to use, it's as easy as blender (or rather, will be once everything is done). Some people might say that blender isn't easy to use, but don't believe them. Like any real 3D editor it has a learning curve but there are lots of tutorials out there.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Now are you going to make it break arbitrary meshes into Trepan's tetragon based objects? :)
Last edited by JeffM on Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageJeffM
Nidhoggr
General Bandwidth
General Bandwidth

Post by Nidhoggr »

Blender sounds cool. Maybe I'll play with it a bit. I had a hard time with bzedit at first until I got the hang of it.

Any idea how long it'd take to come up with something usable?
purple_cow
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by purple_cow »

Depends on your definition of usable. It can already import/export worlds with boxes, pyramids and world correctly. At the exact moment importing of teleporters is a little broken, and it doesn't do links.