BZEdit 1.6.4 released

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
DTRemenak
General
General

BZEdit 1.6.4 released

Post by DTRemenak »

BZEdit 1.6.4 has been released.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/bzfl ... e?download

This release incorporates all fixes in the 1.6.3 beta that was posted here last year (including green/blue base switching fix, flipz fix, etc.), plus the following:
* Opening documents by double-clicking them won't crash it anymore
* Opening documents with 2.0 objects in them (e.g. meshes) will generate a friendly error message, instead of crashing horribly
* Certain 2.0 objects will be skipped instead of generating errors (world, options, dynamiccolor, material, and texturematrix). This allows BZEdit to open maps which have been saved through the options menu of 2.0 clients, as long as they DO NOT contain new 2.0 objects.
* An unknown crash bug has been fixed
* A memory leak has been fixed
* The URLs in the About dialog have been corrected
* Compilation on Visual C++ 7.1 has been fixed
* The installer has been fixed and updated

This update fixes a lot of bugs, but it DOES NOT allow BZEdit to read or write maps which use the new features introduced by 2.0. I have no intention of updating it to allow this. And no, you can't change my mind, so don't bother trying. Patches welcome!

Edit: Changed link to reflect revised installer which includes a DLL that was missing before.
Last edited by DTRemenak on Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Nice......... Are you saying that if we have 2.0 stuff on the map it wont delete them?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

no he means it won't crash, it' will skip them. It won't know about them when it saves it. so it won't save the new 2.0 stuff back out.

Read his last sentance.
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

It won't read a map with any nontrivial 2.0 stuff in it (meshes, groups, etc)...it will just give you an error instead of crashing. It will skip (and also not save) a couple of the more trivial sections, so that maps saved from the 2.0 client will work as long as they DON'T have any nontrivial 2.0 features in them.
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

In your opinion, how much effort would be required to make BZEdit read in the 2.0 stuff, leave it as is, and then write it back out with the 1.x features that it does understand?

I'm not asking for someone to actually do it, just asking for an evaluation of how difficult it would be by someone who knows the code. Depending on the answer (and if it can be compiled via either MinGW or Dev-C++), I might give it a try.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it would depend on what type of support you'd want.

if you want to add full mesh editing abilitys ( the map format supports it ), your talking about adding a lot of features the base app dosn't even have a framework for. If you are talking about just adding element entrys for every map object, and leting them be moved around and given basic editor dialogs. And handlaing meshes via a simple import mechanism. that is easyer, but still not a simple task. There are a lot of things added, mostly stuff like groups that would require some big changes in the core of BZEdit.

BZedit for windows was made using the MFC applicaton framework. It is heavaly tied to Visual Studio, so it would probalby not compile with DevC++ or MinGW ( MFC is part of Visual Studio, it is not open source, windows just happens to come with binary versions of it ).
ImageJeffM
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

As long as you didn't want it to be able to display or manipulate 2.0 objects, the amount of effort required would be significant but not enormous. Basically it would have to read in the objects, store them, and write them out later.

BZEdit requires MFC, so unless you can get that working with mingw you won't be able to compile it without Visual C++.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Heh, BZEdit needed some fixing up. Maybe sombody really bored one day will add support for displaying 2.0 objects on the screen. It would make screenshots easier and you could still edit basic parts of you map. (the boxes and pyramids)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Wait, I shouldn't be rejoicing yet. When I start it I get this message:

This application has falied to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Where do I get MSVCP71.dll from? Does it come with VS? ('cause I don't have, and dont plan on getting, that.)
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Ooops, left one out. Uploaded a new installer including the missing DLL. If it didn't work for you before, download it again (using the [edited] link from the first post). If it did, there's no reason to download it again.
wiz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wiz »

JeffM2501 wrote:BZedit for windows was made using the MFC applicaton framework. It is heavaly tied to Visual Studio, so it would probalby not compile with DevC++ or MinGW
Ok - I guess that leaves me out since I don't have VS71. And I'm absolutely positive that rewriting it to not use MFC is beyond my abilities!
DTRemenak wrote:As long as you didn't want it to be able to display or manipulate 2.0 objects, the amount of effort required would be significant but not enormous. Basically it would have to read in the objects, store them, and write them out later.
Yeah - I was thinking just ignore them from a display and editing standpoint. I just wanted to let people load up a 2.0 map and play around with some of the "legacy" features of the map without destroying the 2.0 features.

If I remember correctly, BZEdit tends to save your map for you upon closing even when you don't request it to. Having it not erase 2.0 objects that you might not even know are there would be a positive thing.[/quote]
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Thanks, works like a beast. Well, on 1.x maps.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

There is still that one problem that may need to be fixed. How it doesnt know the position right. When you open up a box or what ever the position is not 0 0 0 its 50 50 50
call of honor
Private
Private

Post by call of honor »

where do u find bzmapper i was begginning to wonder how you could make all of that stuff
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Oh boy, you think BZMapper makes all those cool objects you see in LouMan's maps? It's not that easy. For those you need a 3D modeling program like Anim8or, and you need to model the objects, then make them into a map. All BZMapper is is something that is just a tool for debugging/stats on maps. I don't think it has 2.0 support.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Blender....... I never understood it....
call of honor
Private
Private

Post by call of honor »

:? errr ummmm eh what? i hate programming. :?
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Ok quick question, did you guys fix the blue-green base bug? Where blue becomes green and green becomes blue? Also, it seems that sometimes if you delete a lot of objects or something like that....you can't click on certain boxes or pyramids without restarting the program. It doesn't detect them. Wh y is this?
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Ok quick question, did you guys fix the blue-green base bug? Where blue becomes green and green becomes blue? Also, it seems that sometimes if you delete a lot of objects or something like that....you can't click on certain boxes or pyramids without restarting the program. It doesn't detect them. Wh y is this?
The blue-green base bug was fixed over a year ago in 1.6.3. Please, please, please people stop using 1.6.2!

From the first post in this thread even,
DTRemenak wrote:This release incorporates all fixes in the 1.6.3 beta that was posted here last year (including green/blue base switching fix, flipz fix, etc.),
The other bug you mentioned may have been fixed in 1.6.4 or might be already fixed in CVS. Lots of memory bugs have been fixed.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

ducatiwannabe wrote: Also, it seems that sometimes if you delete a lot of objects or something like that....you can't click on certain boxes or pyramids without restarting the program. It doesn't detect them. Why is this?
That was a bug caused by some bad assumptions about the contiguity of data. It's fixed in 1.6.5 (see the current top announcement). Please upgrade ;). This thread has been demoted from announcement to normal.