Version 2 map editor (Blender import export and tools)

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Version 2 map editor (Blender import export and tools)

Post by Teppic »

EDIT: It's all here!

Well, it's done, there is a snapshot here.
Copy bzflag to your .blender/scripts folder, and the BZWimport.py file to .blender/scripts

The importer in and of itself is worthless for anything other than making pretty pictures of BZW maps, but once the exporter is made (under development now, first modules to be in the cvs by then end of the week), and if you are smarter than the average bear then you can use it to import, edit, and then export maps. For those of you with IQ's below 145 there will be an easy to use interface written when the exporter is done.

So back to the original point, please test and try to break the importer, the sooner bugs are found and fixed the quicker the exporter will be working properly.

If you wanna play with the exporter and test the bug fixes the cvs instrctions are

Code: Select all

cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@teppic.homelinux.net:2401/root login
[just press enter at the password prompt]
cd /home/yourname/.blender/scripts/
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@teppic.homelinux.net:2401/root/ checkout bzflag
cp bzflag/bzwImport.py ./bzwImport.py
##see note 1
blender -window
For windows users do a search for the .blender folder, it depends on what options you selected on install as to where it is.

Note 1) you have to edit the BZconfig.py file *******before******* you start blender, it has instructions included. Windows users, notepad and/or wordpad won't cut it in this case, you need a proper ANSI editor, I recommend notepad2, also when entering your file paths use \\ and not just\, as python interprets this as an escape command and ignores the next character, for example C:\Documents And Setting\andy\My Documents\My BZflag Files\
becomes
C:\\Documents And settings\\andy\\My Documents etc etc etc.
If someone finds a better way to do this then tell me, I started windows in a virtual machine 2 years ago on a monday, the clock thinks it's nearly friday!

OK, know limitations.
The importer may error out if you don't have the textures you are trying to load on your computer, solution: play the map in bzflag first, the textures will be stored in the cache and picked up from there.

Nested group instances/definitions **may** error, this is a know issue and will be worked on.
Groups *must* be defined before reference, this can be worked around but the display of group instances in the blender window would be lost, so it's a trade off.
Object parameters; these were defined by the man page for bzw 2.0.5, if this document is found wanting, then so will the importer.
LOD models are supported, but only as direct import and export, you have to edit them by hand inside blenders text editor interface, the same as an 'options' section.
Within the above parameters I am yet to find a BZW file that won't import

Erm....
layers:materials and other special objects(textureMatrix etc) are found in different layers(15-20), look here before saying they weren't imported.
Shear is, as yet, unsupported, and until I see it used an ANY map it will stay that way.
What you see in the view port is only a representaion, the textures are applied and such, but not accoring to texmats, if you want to know that it will look the same on export, define it as a mesh, add an image and uv co-ords. Non uv'd images will not show in the view port, but will in a render.

If you see strange things in the blender command window under windows, this is the colour coding for normal users (yes NORMAL).

Documentation, mainly for my own benefit, there is a .doc file that holds all the secrets, if you can/would like to translate this to your mother tongue, then please ask me for it.
Last edited by Teppic on Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

All working, it's all here!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Teppic wrote:All working, it's all here!
The place seems to be down...
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

I'm looking into it now, It's very odd, apache is up and running, my dns entry is right, the router is setup ok, the address is right but still get message 500 :?: :?:

Fixed it, dns wilcard problem :roll:
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

OK, I fixed the website, but due to the Mrs requiring a VPN connection the firewall/router will be undergoing some rebuilding (stupid microsoft VPN servers).
Needless to say I won't ever be left without a connection, but the servers may go down from time to time, and considering the ammount of Jameson's I had to drink to even consider rebuilding the router I thought an alternative source for the archive may be preferable to a week or so of downtime from the normal webserver.So here it is.
It's just the archive I'm afraid, and the webserver with the install instuctions will be up and down more times than a new brides nightie, but it's till worth a try.

VPN, hmm, if people who fall under the umbrella of 'IT support' can do it then surely it can't be hard, eh? :shock:
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

First part of the tutorials put up on the website today.

http://www.teppic.homelinux.net/BZWTools/tutorial.html
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

just so everyone knows exactly what this is.

this plugin lets blender FULLY edit bzflag maps. This means all objects ( not just meshes ) and materials. So boxes, pyramids, teleporters, meshes, all that stuff.

bender is a CROSS PLATFORM modeler. It runs on windows, linux, AND THE MAC.

This type of editing is where the future is at. Dedicated editors are of the past.
ImageJeffM
dead metal 3121
Private First Class
Private First Class

Cant make it work.

Post by dead metal 3121 »

:x Could you Please make a windows version for BZWExport?
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

It will run on any OS that runs blender, and has been tested on windows.
Read the windows specific install instructions on the main site.
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

where are the instructions? can't find any...
EDIT: nevermind... found them. but it doesn't work, import doesn't work, making objects doesn't work, none of the bottons that make object work, they do nothing at all.
i pressed phydrv, and it came with this screenshot(see error.jpg)
the console said this(see console.txt)
Attachments
console.txt
(415 Bytes) Downloaded 160 times
error.jpg
(91.7 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Makes me think there is something wrong with your python install, apart from that the toolkit hasn't counted out the buttons as it draws then for ages, try a new download, and be sure to remove any *.pyc files before you re-run blender.
Which os do you use btw?
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

i use win 2k
i just downloaded the newest blender cuz i was running an older, uncompatible version (2.37) and it doesn't work, i'll try finding any deleting .pyc and see if it works then
EDIT: deleted .pyc's, still the same.
EDIT2: noticed something i did wrong in the BZconfig.py, edited it, and now the importer/exporter works! but nothing else, and it moved my 0 0 0 positioned box to 50 50 50 :?
EDIT3: When i export a mesh (i tried the mokey) it can out with a document that just said that it was made wit bzw exporter blah blah blah.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Read the tutorial for the exporter. And it does work under win2k sp3, I have a fresh virtual machine I use to test it on, win2kp sp3, blender 2.41, bzflag 2.0.4 (stable), notepad2 and latest bzwtools.zip file from the BZWtools download page.
If you edit any files (including config) you must remove all *.pyc files.

It may be an incompatability with the windows EOL character in your .bzw file, post the map you tried to import and I'll look into it....
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

I have SP4.
I can import and export, though it does have a prob exporting...

My main problem is that i can't edit maps with it and i want to find out how to fix that.
EDIT:: Re-Installed latest Version of the bzwtools and Set it up. still same
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Try reading how to submit a proper bug report at the bzwtools bug report forums, as
it doesn't work
is about as much use as a chocolate teapot :wink:
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

OK, there are some general mumblings about this not working in other threads, but as Jeff said you have to set it up right.
Yes the documentation ~sucks, but I have little time to make it better.

For support there is a dedicated forum listed on the BZWTools main site, there is this thread, I have PM, I am often found in the #blender #bzchat & #bzflag channels on irc.freenode.net, plus I added my aim in the profile so you can get me there too.
These plugins work, don't believe me go checkout the DarkNDirty map on my server, 100% with the new tools, no text editing at all

A_Meteorite/any other mac users: I am very interested in getting it working on a mac, so I can document how to do it properly.

Just as a note; the next version will use blenders settings registry instead of BZConfig.py for setup, this should make it a lot easier to setup. But in the words of Calculon "I'm programmed to be very busy!" so don't hold yer breath just yet.
dead metal 3121
Private First Class
Private First Class

Teppic, I did what the instructions said. I cannot get it to run. im not trying to be a pain in the butt, but could you please give me a download ready for Windows becuase i am not good at coding anymore. This is a recording.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

OK, there is a new downloads page that includes a .zip and .exe for windows (you still need notepad2 for the config file), and a .tar.bz2 for normal users. The exe will extract to the blender 2.41 default install folder.
dead metal 3121
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thank you so much!! :D
EDIT:I dont see the .exe file.
EDIT2: I see it now, had to clear cache.
DJ Atomica
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DJ Atomica »

I tried your one and only tutorial and get stuck on the add -> material. Why? Because I can't find it. Where is there a material button in the scripts?

EDIT: It also won't let me import. I know you don't really want me to post in here but I will anyway! :P Attached is the console text it told me to look at.
Attachments
console.txt
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
DJ Atomica.........Scratching the records! :twisted:

Skype me! Skype name is "dj.atomica"!
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Submit a but report, using the bug report link on the bzwtools homepage, and read the howto on how to submit a bug report too.

This is the bzflag forum, I may use it to promote bzwtools but it is not the place to upload potentially large .blend files and/or textures required to bug fix specific problems, or go into detail of blenders inner workings.

Thank you (and I'm sure Jeff feels the same way.)
DJ Atomica
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by DJ Atomica »

Oh, ok! Sorry about that.
DJ Atomica.........Scratching the records! :twisted:

Skype me! Skype name is "dj.atomica"!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

you might have not noticed, but the size it is on blender adds as scale to the bzw object, and it still puts in the pos, rot, ect defined in the panels. and the pos, rot, ect defined in panels dosne't appear in the blender window, so thingys like ratio and angle (for arc) do not show up in the display
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

me1 wrote:you might have not noticed, but the size it is on blender adds as scale to the bzw object, and it still puts in the pos, rot, ect defined in the panels. and the pos, rot, ect defined in panels dosne't appear in the blender window, so thingys like ratio and angle (for arc) do not show up in the display
They do if you look in the pacman icon for an object (under properties in the LHS)

I thought I posted this but obviously not, the fix for custom texture import on 'Doze is done check the Download Page for the new version, and remember to delete any .pyc files before trying to update.
Devil
Private
Private

Post by Devil »

Sorry but is there a map Editor for Linux 10.0?

wait for answer...