Radar flag

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Durf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Radar flag

Post by Durf »

This flag would be for maps that dont have a radar(example gnurdux.homelinux.net:5174, my maze map), this flag would give you that extra edge. not very creative, but its a super flag on those maps.
.__......._..___....
|__)(_)|..'.|-........
Red Cobra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Cobra »

Interesting. I like it. But there arent many maps out there nowadays that don't have maps. Except for the one you mentioned and Hide and Seek Hills.
Cop@R3lax
Trusted@Viper
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

as far as flags go, its a good idea, but in my opinion its just not worth it to add a flag that gives you the radar because non-radar maps just arent popular enough.
its making a flag that applies to about 20 of the 210 servers that are in the list, about 3 of which are used
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I don't think "How many different servers it will work on" is important, more, would it be useful on those servers? If so, and a dev wants to commit (a relatively short amount of) time to creating it, then it could just happen.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

This isn't quite as simple as it sounds.

"No radar" is done by setting the radar limit to zero. there is no "option" to add radar for the server, so there's not really a way to disable the flag (as with the jumping and ricochet flags).

it would require an implementation change, basically the addition of an option to enable or disable the radar for the server.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I think that the Idea for some of those maps is to not have Radar at all. so wouldnt the kinnda defeat the point?
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

ducktape wrote:I think that the Idea for some of those maps is to not have Radar at all. so wouldnt the kinnda defeat the point?
Yes, it would.

Even if this flag were to give an advantage on these maps, it would be way to high of one. Skilled players would lurk in-between the shadows of hide-and-seek-hills, and hardly would ever be found. Or on maze maps, it would be easy to complete the maze, and even easier to kill unsuspecting tanks. I do not like this idea.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

ducktape wrote:I think that the Idea for some of those maps is to not have Radar at all. so wouldnt the kinnda defeat the point?
It depends. You could say the same thing about the Jumping (JP) flag. Sure, it seems useless to most of us, but it could come in quite useful on some servers.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Don't you think that a flag that gave people radar on a no-radar server would be way too powerful? Without a radar, you'd be at a huge disadvantage.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

blast wrote:Don't you think that a flag that gave people radar on a no-radar server would be way too powerful? Without a radar, you'd be at a huge disadvantage.
Possibly, but you could limit the radar.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

TangenT wrote:
blast wrote:Don't you think that a flag that gave people radar on a no-radar server would be way too powerful? Without a radar, you'd be at a huge disadvantage.
If there were to be a 'Radar Flag' it would have to be limited otherwise it would just be too overpowering.

Perhaps limit the radar to only see objects and not players?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

All depends on the server, map, settings, etc, as with every other flag.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

TangenT wrote:
There is a point. I would say the conditions would tend to require a shot limit to the flag if nothing else. Even then, many may argue that say shot limiting it to 5 essentially is the same as giving the holder 5 free kills.

There was a wings flag focused server (can't remember the name) I tried not long ago where basically the ground level was infrequently used but had lasers for the land lubbers and what seemed to be just one cloak flag. Without radar there were people who were suggesting the cloak made you invincible. I demonstrated that it was possible to get the cloaker if you looked out for their shooting, but even so, it can be very hard to hunter a cloaker without radar, but with a radar flag it would get much easier.

On the balance of things, I'm not against this idea. But I could understand that the limited usage would leave developers disinterested in providing it, and you do have to take into account balancing issues.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
dartman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dartman »

I'm with the people say it's too powerful. Maybe it would be better if it significantly limited your radar's range.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

It would be powerful but you could say the same thing about the Ricochet flag. I think it should be added.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I'd like to see a Radar Flag BUT like it was said by many earlier is HAS to be limited.
In an earlier post I wrote:Perhaps limit the radar to only see objects and not players?

I still stand by that.
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:
Yes, it would.

Even if this flag were to give an advantage on these maps, it would be way to high of one. Skilled players would lurk in-between the shadows of hide-and-seek-hills, and hardly would ever be found. Or on maze maps, it would be easy to complete the maze, and even easier to kill unsuspecting tanks. I do not like this idea.
I could be set up as if a bad flag, so it times out.
Actually I'd like to see an optional time limit on good flags, stop that guy sitting up there and camping for 20 minutes and only letting off 5 GM's.