Tank Size on Radar...

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Tank Size on Radar...

Post by Davy Jones »

You know how the radar height system makes a box around your tank? instead of it's true size of a rectangle?

Could it somehow be implemented where it shows you the ACTUAL size of your tank? although this had little effect on major servers, on skill servers it would be somewhat useful

Thoughts?
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

You mean the HUD? if not Explain.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

radar

Explain what....
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I think the point of the squares instead of rectangles is to make it impossible to determine the direction a tank is pointing (without watching their movement).
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

You still couldn't tell which way it was pointing, it is still just a shape, with no arrows or anything, how could you tell the direction
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
asciimonster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Tank Size on Radar...

Post by asciimonster »

Davy Jones wrote:You know how the radar height system makes a box around your tank? instead of it's true size of a rectangle?
Could you make a little drawing of what you are suggesting? I don't quite get what you mean (could be just me)
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Davy Jones wrote:You still couldn't tell which way it was pointing, it is still just a shape, with no arrows or anything, how could you tell the direction
You still couldnt tell which direction its pointing if it were changed to a rectangle, only there would be 2 sides in which it could be facing. Where as a square is even on all four sides.

It doesnt bother me really whether its a square or not, but i prefer it the way it is :)
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It would be a hell of a lot easier to tell which way a tank was facing just by looking at it on the radar if it was an actual representation of the shape of a tank.
There would be only 2 possibilities, as opposed to the infinite number there are now.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

CannonBallGuy wrote:It would be a hell of a lot easier to tell which way a tank was facing just by looking at it on the radar if it was an actual representation of the shape of a tank.
There would be only 2 possibilities, as opposed to the infinite number there are now.
And on top of this, it would then be a very simple thing to modify the radar renderer to just stick a barrel on one end of the tank.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Grace F wrote:Where as a square is even on all four sides.
Actually, I believe that the current squares do not rotate at all, and are completely straight up/down at all times without regard to the direction the tank is pointing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

Constitution wrote:Actually, I believe that the current squares do not rotate at all, and are completely straight up/down at all times without regard to the direction the tank is pointing. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Yes. At present they might as well be circular dots.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

Oh now I understand what you guys are talking about The Square on the Rader right? ifso I think its like that for a reason I dont think your sopposed to be able to see wich way its going. Its a "Stealth" reson.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

L4m3r wrote: And on top of this, it would then be a very simple thing to modify the radar renderer to just stick a barrel on one end of the tank.
That's not what i'm saying, instead of a square, could we have a rectangle to represent the tank instead of a square...and you still wouldn't be able to tell which way it was going....
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Okay, if that is what you mean, then I am unsure of what benefit it would provide.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Eh, squares are rectangles. Therefore, Davy's request is already in.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Ummm...the box does not represent actual tank size...the benefits would be improved dodging tactics.......
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Davy Jones wrote:Ummm...the box does not represent actual tank size...the benefits would be improved dodging tactics.......
Yeah, well, if we add more visibility of tank position/rotation to the radar, then we might as well trash the 3D aspect of the game.

Get where I'm going here?
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

you know... if you zoom in enough on the radar, you can see a tank on the radar. :roll: i'm not sure if it is actual size though. Also by that time, the bullet would have most likly hit you already :doh:
Attachments
bzfi0021.png
A pic of the radar
(494.7 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

A Hobo wrote:you know... if you zoom in enough on the radar, you can see a tank on the radar. :roll: i'm not sure if it is actual size though. Also by that time, the bullet would have most likly hit you already :doh:
Hmm, I can't see it in my client, but what I DID see was that the tank on the radar actually is, in fact, a rectangle. Zoom in, you'll see what I mean.
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

You have to be in experimental to see it if I'm not wrong.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Saber wrote:You have to be in experimental to see it if I'm not wrong.
That sounds like a good explanation. I'm only in high, as it is.

But either way, it's not like I'm ever going to be zooming in so far that I can see my tank in detail on the radar.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Yes, that is what i am getting at, that it always shows you the rectangle, instead of the square it does now....you can press 4 and zoom in to see the rectangle
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Davy Jones wrote:Yes, that is what i am getting at, that it always shows you the rectangle, instead of the square it does now....you can press 4 and zoom in to see the rectangle
I think that's a stupid idea. No offense, but I like having the ability to trick people into jumping down from a box because they think I'm going the other way.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

they cannot tell the direction even if it was a rectangle....it would only show a hwite rectangle, instead of a square...
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

Davy Jones wrote:they cannot tell the direction even if it was a rectangle....it would only show a hwite rectangle, instead of a square...
Then what is the point of making it a rectangle!?