Flag Idea - EarthQuake

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if you have to pick up a flag to defend yourself in that landing case, simply pick up SW and fire one off before you land, it is the same killing effect, and it is visual so people can dodge it. It's also a lot more usefull in more situations.

sounds more like you just hate getting killed on jumping, but like to play the long shot game, that is the risk of jumping.
ImageJeffM
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

JeffM2501 wrote:sounds more like you just hate getting killed on jumping, but like to play the long shot game, that is the risk of jumping.
I just believe that jumping is currently a little lopsided to the point where jump=death much too often. I do do the same thing that I mentioned others do, but everytime I think it's a bit unfair to the other player.

There are times when you can't avoid on the ground no matter what and are forced to jump. It is a risk to jump but having to jump should not mean almost certain death, IMHO.

ED: Isn't shockwave a superflag? What can you do on non-superflag servers?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

your earthquake idea is ALSO a superflag, so that argument is pointless on this topic.

you pick where you jump more carefully, it's called "skill".
ImageJeffM
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

.Zero wrote:
JeffM2501 wrote:jump=death
In the case where you jump, I believe it's for dodging bullets because why would you jump then (if you're telling me you're jumping to get on top of a box and get killed, just kill the person first and don't try to evade by getting on a box):
jump=death
no jump=death
jump+luck(or skill)=no death

With those simple calculs, you can easily see that jumping is an advantage because you have a chance of survey and adding your flag will just give you another advantage for jumping.

Plus, don't forget that most of the time when you get killed after a jump, it's in the air because the other tank jumped or before you touch the ground.
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

JeffM2501 wrote:your earthquake idea is ALSO a superflag, so that argument is pointless on this topic.

I guess I misunderstand what a superflag is then. I thought superflag meant all those really powerful flags: laser, shockwave, rocket, etc.
I guess a superflag is anything that's not a team flag.

As for "skill", what I'm saying is that on tight maps or moderately full maps, or in a variety of situations, jump=death. You don't always have the luxury of jumping to a safe spot.

I do agree that you can avoid some/many deaths by jumping smartly, but too often you know you're dead almost as soon as you press the jump key, simply because there was no place to go, and cross your fingers that the tank(s) just waiting to take you out will be taken out first and that you can avoid the rest of the ground bullets from the other tank(s) without having to jump again.

I don't mind losing because I did something stupid, it's the knowing that there's no place to go and waiting to get KOd is sort of off. As you say, SW is the only real help for that, but SW is usually so powerful that you hardly get in that situation.

What did you mean by "long shot game" anyway? I didn't understand that. Personally, I like the up-close battles and the Ducati style of play. I find it amazing how much I've improved by playing that way for just a couple days.

Oh well, sorry for making a ruckus and for not being as clear or concise as I'd like to be :|
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

Superflags are all flags except team and bad ones.
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

Saber wrote:Plus, don't forget that most of the time when you get killed after a jump, it's in the air because the other tank jumped or before you touch the ground.
You know what, I never thought of that before and now that I do, I see that you're right!
Even without having the other tank jump, you're probably more likely to land on the bullet before the ground! Doh!
This flag idea is officially useless! ;)

If this is what you all meant when you said that it's a worse version of SR or suggested SW as an alternative, very sorry! I didn't understand what you meant!

Thanks for the clarification Saber, I get it now.

Hope to see you all on the battlefield someday :mrgreen:
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Saber wrote:Superflags are all flags except team and bad ones.
Mmmmm, not quite.

Superflags are L, GM, ST, WG, BU, SB, SW, and G.
Flags that aren't super, but still good, are F, QT, V, A, TH, T, PZ, IB, CL, SE, US, MQ, and ID. (R as well, when used)

I draw the line at being able to dominate a game. A player with a superflag can dominate a game, one with a (non-super) flag can't.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

I define a "SuperFlag" as - A flag that gives you an advantage above others with no flag. That includes flags like T, CL, N etc., even SR.

Other flags like, "No right Turn" (whatever that is abbreviated to) and "TriggerHappy" (whatever that is abbreviated to) - Those flags I DON'T classify as a "SuperFlag". Mearly because their the dud flags which dont give you an advantage unless your lucky, in which case it could get you out of a tight spot. Only in rare cases though.

I guess everyone has their own definition of a "SuperFlag"
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

Saber wrote:Superflags are all flags except team and bad ones.
I agree. The man page says:

"There are two broad categories of super-flags: good and bad. Good super-flags may be dropped and will remain for up to 4 possessions. Bad super-flags are sticky -- in general, they cannot be dropped."
http://www.fifi.org/cgi-bin/man2html/us ... zflag.6.gz
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

.Zero wrote:
JeffM2501 wrote:your earthquake idea is ALSO a superflag, so that argument is pointless on this topic.

I guess I misunderstand what a superflag is then. I thought superflag meant all those really powerful flags: laser, shockwave, rocket, etc.
I guess a superflag is anything that's not a team flag.

As for "skill", what I'm saying is that on tight maps or moderately full maps, or in a variety of situations, jump=death. You don't always have the luxury of jumping to a safe spot.

I do agree that you can avoid some/many deaths by jumping smartly, but too often you know you're dead almost as soon as you press the jump key, simply because there was no place to go, and cross your fingers that the tank(s) just waiting to take you out will be taken out first and that you can avoid the rest of the ground bullets from the other tank(s) without having to jump again.

I don't mind losing because I did something stupid, it's the knowing that there's no place to go and waiting to get KOd is sort of off. As you say, SW is the only real help for that, but SW is usually so powerful that you hardly get in that situation.

What did you mean by "long shot game" anyway? I didn't understand that. Personally, I like the up-close battles and the Ducati style of play. I find it amazing how much I've improved by playing that way for just a couple days.

Oh well, sorry for making a ruckus and for not being as clear or concise as I'd like to be :|
If there's no safe place to jump to, don't jump.

You can not blame death on anything but the lack of skill in comparison to the other player, assuming you both have no (or the same) superflags.

too much loving is correct: In bzflag, there are Team Flags and Super Flags. Superflags are further divided into good and bad flags.
R, F, T, CL, etc are all as much a superflag as GM, G, SW, L.
As are RO, O, TR, WA, etc - the difference here is that those are BAD Superflags.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Bentusi Elite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bentusi Elite »

Eh can we safely write this idea off as "Rejected" in the wiki then (Just checking)?
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

Bentus wrote:Eh can we safely write this idea off as "Rejected" in the wiki then (Just checking)?
Whomever has that power, go ahead (or delete it outright)
You can not blame death on anything but the lack of skill in comparison to the other player, assuming you both have no (or the same) superflags.
2+ tanks vs 1 isn't the easiest thing to get around. I guess taking an even wider look than usual, kind of tracking the tanks movements could keep you out of trouble a lot. Maybe that comes with experience too *shrug*
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It's a wiki... edit it yourself. :)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

On the topic of earthquakes, here's my idea for a similar, maybe better flag.

EarthQuake (EQ):
Your tank fires a cracked line as wide as a tank straight out, moving ahead like a bullet. Anything touching it is destroyed. If you are within 10 squares of the line, you hear a rumbling noise. When it hits a building, the crack starts closing up (at the same speed of a bullet). There could be a limited range. When it hits the building, it shakes, bouncing tanks on it around lilke they got a bouncy flag. You can't kill yourself with it.
You might set it to move like a laser, simply shaking a building and doing normal damage, but you can't hit a flying target.
Another idea....
ExplosionShell (ES)

Your tank fires a perfectly normal bullet that never richochets, but upon impact on a building or tank, it creates a small SW. This could be good to destroy a camper.

Is this WAY too complex? :roll: :wink:
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

way too complex, if your going to kill them just fire a laser. all the rest is fluff.

also this thread is over a month old,it's dead.
ImageJeffM
*Boinkage*!
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by *Boinkage*! »

Oh silly me. I guess he forum is dead, thiswas on the top.
And what about SW Bullet!
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword.

Okay, you get a Bic, the orc gets a long sword.

He cuts the Bic in half.

Then he cuts you in half.

Oops, I meant quarters.
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

*Boinkage*! wrote:Oh silly me. I guess he forum is dead, thiswas on the top.
And what about SW Bullet!
Too similar to an already denied idea, but I suppose it's possible with a plugin.