spawing issues

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
kc9foh
Private First Class
Private First Class

spawing issues

Post by kc9foh »

I know somewhere this has probably been suggested before. I have had a lot of newbies and old timers remark about spawn kills. As I am still learning how to write the most basic coding in software dev. Can somebody add a 2-3 second delay for both invincibility and no shooting just time to move before getting shot right after the spawn?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: spawing issues

Post by meeba »

kc9foh wrote:I know somewhere this has probably been suggested before. I have had a lot of newbies and old timers remark about spawn kills. As I am still learning how to write the most basic coding in software dev. Can somebody add a 2-3 second delay for both invincibility and no shooting just time to move before getting shot right after the spawn?
That is such a brilliant idea, I tip my hat to you.

Devs, any chance this can be done? Being killed right after a spawn, which happens often due to the server deciding where we spawn with no regard to shots, is no fun.
Grace F
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grace F »

Spawn killing... invincibility, I've wondered myself about that.

I doubt it would be made though. There are ways to avoid being spawn killed. Such as looking on the map for a your teammates to see if their in the clear.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It's been discussed. First we are going to make the server take shots into account during spawns. This should help the spawns a lot. After that we'll have to move hit checking to the server. After that if it's still a huge problem, we can look into some sort of spawn protection.
ImageJeffM
.Zero
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by .Zero »

That sounds good. Sometimes I get killed the instant I hit 'i', so that would be a big improvement. Any idea on a time-line? (2.2?)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the server side shot tracking is planed for 2.2
ImageJeffM
kc9foh
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kc9foh »

I look forward to the improvement. Hopefully that will calm the masses! :D 8)
too much loving
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by too much loving »

I think that spawning works OK, but it's always fun to nitpick.

If I read the code in trunk correctly then a new tank can spawn facing directly at a nearby enemy. It looks like the code only checks where the enemy is facing. (but maybe I read the code wrongly)

It looks like a new tank can spawn almost on top of an old tank as long as they both face away from each other.

By the way, how about letting safeDistance depend on the number of tanks in the field? That would remove spawning problems in games with few tanks. One idea is to start out trying to spawn with a very large value of safeDistance, but gradually decrease safeDistance whenever a position is rejected.

EDIT: typos and deranting